"Varnishing" 50 year old floorboards with exposed(by sanding) nail heads?

difflock

640 clout(is it?) nails and umpteen broken off carpet securing staples countersink in 90 mins.

So that's a good start.

And, hooray!

Osmo Poly X is a runner!

Well Doh Dad! Like Obviously!

(I blame her mother!)

Thanks Again all who advised.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

BB.

Do you mix the sawdust through the 2 pack varnish, like through all of it?

I guess from your wording and presuming the 2 pack acts like the stuff they use for the deeply fissured/rotten wood table tops and

that you are using it to  fill the gaps/cravesses in your Georgian floor?

I doubt work daughter will "spring" for 2 pack, or be prepared to use such volumes.

Thank you all btw.

Cheers

Marcus

P.S.

Her be for spending her valuable time off today sunbathing at the boat club.

While her would done retired Da goes out to do a 10 Hr days work!

Sorry, I didn’t write that very clearly. I just add the sawdust for the initial heavy duty bodges to seal the wider cracks and big holes. You’d lose some of the grain otherwise.

Tend to give it a once over with the floor sander to get rid of the worst and then save some of the second sandings as the first lot will have too much paint and other undesirable crap in it. The additional second lot of cleaner sawdust helps give the mix some body to help disguise the larger cracks, and fills in the holes and imperfections.

There’s nothing to stop you buying a small amount of the two pack for such a use and then cover it with air drying varnish, as the cured two pack won’t react by being underneath a top coat of air drying varnish.[emoji1303]

• Thanks 1

Well seeing as my last enquiry was so helpfully answered.

Any recommendations re standard internal doors, or who/what to avoid?

Locally all I seem to be able to get is engineered/veneered  "shite"(at least in my opinion)

Cheers

m

Btw.

She  would NOT be replacing but some blaggard took off the good sapale doors that would have been 1970's fitment and fitted shitty cardboard doors that are physically "in bits" with peeling panels and broken bevelled glass.

What style does she like? Victorian style panel doors, older style ledge? Natural wood or painted? Pine or something else?

If you have a router, ledge doors are extremely easy to make, although they are also pretty cheap to buy for the same reason. If she goes for ledge doors and wants some decent ironmongery I can recommend the Suffolk Latch Company - 

Traditional Hand Forged & Cast Iron Door Hardware. Shop for Window Furniture | Cabinet Furniture | Hooks & Brackets | Studs & Nails | Free UK P&P

I have used theirs on the doors I have made and fitted here.

Alec

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Well seeing as my last enquiry was so helpfully answered.

Any recommendations re standard internal doors, or who/what to avoid?

Locally all I seem to be able to get is engineered/veneered  "shite"(at least in my opinion)

Cheers

m

Btw.

She  would NOT be replacing but some blaggard took off the good sapale doors that would have been 1970's fitment and fitted shitty cardboard doors that are physically "in bits" with peeling panels and broken bevelled glass.

Edwardian 4 panel doors would go well with the floor....that is what I used. Ripped out all the shittie cardboard doors and hunted down a job lot of reclaimed 4 panel doors on gumtree (I bought 10 for £70 + £20 fuel for collection) a few had been stripped already but I chose 5 decent ones which met my requirements to get professionally dipped/stripped at £25/ door. 

I sold 3 on at about £35/£40 a piece on gum tree and 2 directly back to the company who stripped the doors at £25/each.

Also, the doors came with hardware and hinges - probably £80-£100 worth (some of the door knobs were antique).

I fitted them all myself and finished them with a matt osmo wax oil and they look really great with the aged natural pine look.

The whole process was a lot of fun and in the end the doors didn't cost me anything other than time doing a bit of wheeling and dealing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oddly enough, one of my better picks was the bought-new 4 panel doors for the house we got built.

Everybody else was picking 6 panel, but the 4 panel looks better in the contemporary/modern/smaller format.

Still annoyed I only specced a couple of the internal doorways at 2' 9", when the bloody doors turned out to be the exact same price as 2' 6" ones.

Thanks again.

See images from today.

First 2 are floors with the 1st coat on.

2nd 2 are of some of the crud I hoked out of the seams.

A wonderful collection of fluff, stones, dried in paint and chewing gum, plus quite the collection of nails and hairpins.

Yeaugh!

Said hoking should have been done prior to sanding, but I was not in charge!

However to reiterate, a wonderful product and a pleasure to apply.

Getting about 3/4 the quoted coverage  with the first coat.

Be interesting to see the coverage with subsequent coats.

Marcus

IMG_20210427_153418258.jpg

IMG_20210427_114458839.jpg

IMG_20210427_151418484.jpg

IMG_20210427_154236982.jpg

Edited by difflock
  • Like 3