Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Bullman

What’s the best membrane

Recommended Posts

Small job at home, wanting to lay down stone and plant a few small plants and shrubs. Have used several different membrane before and they have varied considerably in quality. What’s the best to use from those of you in the know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terram 1000 without question for stuff requiring a geotextile. But for garden stuff pretty much anything will do. Avoid woven ones though, they may be tougher but they don’t drain very quickly at all and they fray easily. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2021 at 09:55, Steve Bullman said:

Small job at home, wanting to lay down stone and plant a few small plants and shrubs. Have used several different membrane before and they have varied considerably in quality. What’s the best to use from those of you in the know?

Is the Terram fabric that doobin suggested suitable for you Steve?

I have some of it around somewhere.

What area do you need to cover?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Is the Terram fabric that doobin suggested suitable for you Steve?

I have some of it around somewhere.

What area do you need to cover?

Looks like it! The fact its white is also better as we are putting down white stones. Any little gaps won't show as much.

 

I'll have to check but I reckon all in all somewhere in the region of 20m2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Looks like it! The fact its white is also better as we are putting down white stones. Any little gaps won't show as much.

 

I'll have to check but I reckon all in all somewhere in the region of 20m2

It's strong stuff, recently used it to put down a temporary hardcore surface over mud and grass for concrete mixer access, lifted hardcore after and the membrane had no damage to it. Water doesn't pool on top either.

 

I've got the remainder of a 4m wide roll but I don't think there's enough left for your needs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Doug Tait said:

It's strong stuff, recently used it to put down a temporary hardcore surface over mud and grass for concrete mixer access, lifted hardcore after and the membrane had no damage to it. Water doesn't pool on top either.

 

I've got the remainder of a 4m wide roll but I don't think there's enough left for your needs 

Not to worry, logistics would have been a pain anyway, but thanks!

 

So its ok for planting in etc, and not just for use other paths and drives?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why not. You can cut it easily with knife or scissor to allow for planting but it won't tear, and it's water permeable.

 

The places we've used it as a permanent thing under gravel paths or hardcore haven't had weed growth or any issue with water lying on top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.