Customers asking to pay cash to avoid VAT.

benedmonds

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I’m offended that all you city types have restricted the conversation to VAT or cash....

What about all the other forms of non cash transactions?

It’s only Cornwall that still trade in turnips and banjos as legal tender I’m afraid.

The barter system could work well but its being stopped along with the cashless society arriving 🤮

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Will C said:

It’s only Cornwall that still trade in turnips and banjos as legal tender I’m afraid.

The barter system could work well but its being stopped along with the cashless society arriving 🤮

People still get married.

• Haha 1

I really don't understand this. I would rather be paid at the end of the job in cash than by any other means. You give someone a price, to be paid on completion, they agree, you do the job, get paid in full, go home happy knowing full well you have been paid in full, and don't have to mess about chasing non payments. There are loads of self employed people that deal mainly with cash.
Also who likes giving their bank details out to everybody, not me, it just makes you more susceptible to fraudsters. Who carries a card machine with them ?, not everyone has internet banking. Do cheques still exist ?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

I really don't understand this. I would rather be paid at the end of the job in cash than by any other means. You give someone a price, to be paid on completion, they agree, you do the job, get paid in full, go home happy knowing full well you have been paid in full, and don't have to mess about chasing non payments. There are loads of self employed people that deal mainly with cash.
Also who likes giving their bank details out to everybody, not me, it just makes you more susceptible to fraudsters. Who carries a card machine with them ?, not everyone has internet banking. Do cheques still exist ?

If you’re in business you should have internet banking.

95% of my clients pay by chèque.

6 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

I don’t think the OP has a problem with or started the thread of not wanting cash as a means of payment.

more a problem with customers wanting to pay cash for effectively a 20% discount, simultaneously expecting you to be fine with breaking the law.

as Pete pointed out, there’s normally a paper trail from quotation to pointing to you doing the work. Any repercussions and I’ve no doubt they’d be fine with using your insurance etc ....... for the job that “never existed” 

• Like 5

Most clients pay by cheque though a significant by transfer.

Cash isn't very usefull to me at the moment.

Ideally need a property renovation project, the freedom to travel once again or a drug addiction in order to use cash type monies.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/04/2021 at 17:13, Pete Mctree said:

A large number of accounts charge to deposit cash now. Tell them the price will still include VAT and a % sur charge for depositing it in the bank

If you can find a bank or post office near you these days.  Electronic payment is so much easier.

A

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Will C said:

Cash is verging on a liability these days.

Through the books the bank charge you to pay it in, most suppliers are accounts or online so the only place to get rid of it is fuel and there is only so much fuel a set of battery saws burn. 🤣

undeclared cash you can’t spend as between track and trace, mobile fones and store points cards there is almost always a record of what you spent where so it could bite you very easily come tax inspection time🤯

fuel is a business expense why waste cash on that.....

Cash is for the nice to haves. 

If you’re in business you should have internet banking.
95% of my clients pay by chèque.
Hi mick, sorry if I weren't clear, with regards to internet banking I was meaning people such as elderly people who may not have internet banking and prefer to pay in cash, not you (as in company), I honestly didn't think cheques still existed. Cheers.
  • Like 1