Chain

Thank you Tommy!

I hope others will find this too.

Yes that will be the way to go for now but I am still keen to get the cutters and drive links seperate. I am developing something special and really don't want to have to grind each rivet again...OMG

Actually it's just because I need chain with all teeth and no tie straps.

Has anyone ever seen this, I did find a rumour on the web somewhere that it exists?

Maybe Japan or something...

Anyone?>

Haven't been on here in ages, so a nice suprise to find you.

Have a great day mate!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Roger,

Its called full house chain, used for a smoother finish not for boring! I have a few but don't bother with it' Simon used to use it and I think I bought a few off Simon and Uncle Ed Robinson gave me one.

Its 1/4 pitch but not the modified chain,

Email Simon, he may have some!

What size bar do you want one for, I think I have a 14" 12" and 10" I will have a look tomorrow just to make sure.

Cheers, Tommy

Is It like this?

Left Cutter_DriveLink_Right Cutter_Drivelink_

^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v

I was told that's full house by an online dealer but then when I phoned to order he changed his mind. He said that there are two types

Full House

Cutter_Drive_Tiestrap_Drive_Cutter

^ v = v ^ v = v ^ v

Skip Tooth

Cutter_Drive_Tiestrap_Drive_Tiestrap_Drive_ Cutter

^ v = v = v = ^ v = v = v = ^

So what to think?

I was glad I checked and had to buy double the lenght, disassemble it and join it all together with presets.

Have I been mis-informed?

Chain I need is 42 drivelinks.

For a homemade 6" bar.

Dont waste time on this Tommy but please help clarifying the Names would be of great help.

Yucky day, hope you are inside.

Cheers Tommy

Hi

Just a quick question what do you guys pay for carving chain, as if I'm going to put it on the shelf I need to know if there is a market for it.

I think I should be able to do it for about 20p + VAT per drive link (£11.20 + VAT for a 10" chain)

I could do with some feedback so I know which way to go with this. If I go forward with stocking the chain I'll do the same with the bars and sprockets.

Thanks in advance.

Can you help with my desire for All Teeth chain as set out in my previous posts here..

Chain that already exists or the parts ie cutters, drivelinks, presets...to make my own.

And if possible in the new stihl carving profile with the short pre ground tooth for clearance?

???????

I should be able to supply you the parts no problem I'm not back in until next week to sort you a price, but I'll do as soon as I'm back.

Can you PM me the question again, as I check them every morning and may forget if it's only on the thread.

100_8838.jpg

100_8841.jpg

Thats the full house chain Roger, can't believe you went to the trouble making one!

I have two unused one with 56 dl the other 63dl pm your address and you can have them,

Did you make the 6" bar yourself, and what saw is it on? I would like to buy one.

Jonesie I'm interested in buying some of the modified carving chain, I think I paid around £20 for a 10" chain from a Stihl dealer

I took my relatively new 020 chain to my local stihl dealer as a drive link had snapped and to get them to rivet in a new drive link, they told me that they could only replace 1 rivet as it makes the chain week!!

I guess they just wanted to sell me a new chain!

YES!!!

Tommy your a saint mate!!!!!

I'll forward the details asap.

Good grief the sweat and tears it took to make the first one was an adventure beyond the normal. I guess I should have come here first to get the best advice.

Oh well at least I have a jig made for grinding the backs of the teeth accurately, an old clamp on the bar, sharpener/grinder, modified. Still takes time though.

Yes a hand made 6" dime tip for my pride and joy, Over priced, under powered, Makita lithium Saw......Very limited use so far and only has a very tiny small niche application...

I will update about it when I have more experience.

The reason I wanted "Full House" was to compensate for the very sssssslllllloooooowwwww chain speed.

Yes Arborist, You could draw that conclusion.

I think as the hand made joins are not quality assured there could be the potential of them being weaker than a precisely machine made one.

I have to point out that I justified this "Hand Assembly" only because the chain will be run at 5m/sec and not on a petrol saw. It is a special application and I have assessed the risk, and will operate it under strict limited conditions.....

Now I know pre assembled Full House chain exists I will go that route.

Having said all that, after doing numerous rivets now, I can honestly say on visual inspection they look nearly as good as factory ones.

Fixing chains is an art with a good spinner. With practice it could fall within the scope of any safety assessment. A chain is as strong as the weakest link

Fix a potentially failing chain, don't run it utill it fails.