Chain

I was under the impression that if running a newish chain and a cutter is damaged or completely broken off, that IF you have the equipment IE chain breaker and riveter then the cutter should be removed and a new one replaced instead of filling down all the other cutters to suit! That's what I was told to do at college 13 odd years ago.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good to me.

I don't know the official line of thought for todays H&S.

I personally believe that mending chain is a practical option if you have the correct equipment.

Though it does seem to be difficult to get the component parts

Perhaps as the spinners are not cheep people tend to rely on the dealer who understandably makes little profit fixing chains.

Like I said, the weakest link in the chain is just that.....

If a second join weakens a chain more than just one, it would only be because the second was badly made and therefore weaker than the first?

Opps chicken and egg english there.

Good for you Arborist for raising the point.

its perfectly acceptable to replace/repair a chain, and to file the cutters down on lesser damaged chains. as long as it gets the chain to a cuttable condition.

if you replace a link/cutter, you should file it back to match the rest of the cutters.

its best to use the bench mount riveter/breaker. the handheld dont last 2 minutes!

hi guys, im new round here. i run an 017 with a 12" woodsmans pro bar 63 DL. i bought mine while out in america from Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's . was about $75 . I dont know if they ship over here but ive got a mate who's back and forth regulary so he tends to get me anything that'll fit in a suitcase easily.

I use the standard 1/4 pitch links to shorten ready made loops, but its a really expensive way of buying chain. I'm doing my best to find a way of buying it by the reel again. 100 feet a time makes it way cheaper!!

I'll let you all know asap if I find some. it's nice not to have to grind off the heels of the cutters. Cannon 8 inch bars last forever. I'm using one that I've had for 5 yrs on a stihl 192c !