7 minutes ago, lux said:

For me I’d want to have a base rate cost for the milling that takes into account value of the timber. If its planks for interior use the value is low until they are suitably air dried or kiln dried.
I’ve had superb oak that I’ve air dried to all the good practices to find 3 years down the line it’s propellered right up and no good in long lengths. If it’s gonna move, it’ll move.
Maybe suit someone milling as a hobby in these circumstances.

Each to their own. As I said, Id happily pop over if I was local and the log was sound. Regardless of the value being low til its dried you still have to put the same work in either at your yard or this customers, the only difference would be you'd get the log for free.

Yes, if the log is gonna  move if thats what it wants to do. But it seems like you're trying to say thats not gonna happen if you paid for the log and it was milled in your yard. :D 

Each to their own. As I said, Id happily pop over if I was local and the log was sound. Regardless of the value being low til its dried you still have to put the same work in either at your yard or this customers, the only difference would be you'd get the log for free.

Yes, if the log is gonna  move if thats what it wants to do. But it seems like you're trying to say thats not gonna happen if you paid for the log and it was milled in your yard. [emoji3] 

Not at all. But at least you’ve made some money if it turns out to be no good by having a base cost on it. I’ve milled enough oaks in gardens not to be tempted for the free timber that turns into firewood [emoji23] as you say each to their own but it wouldn’t be for me on the free timber basis.