Chance you take really and its not costing you anything so just walk away.

That’s my point. Surely the tree surgeon would be adjust his price either way for less or more work
If it’s no good they have a big old pile of oak rings to cut up or if it’s good for milking they have an easy dismantle with half the waste. [emoji106]
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lux said:

That’s my point. Surely the tree surgeon would be adjust his price either way for less or more work
If it’s no good they have a big old pile of oak rings to cut up or if it’s good for milking they have an easy dismantle with half the waste. emoji106.png

Customer knows its being milled so will be a mess of sawdust and if it were me i would only want the main stuff left that is suitable for planking. Anything else is between the tree surgeon and the customer to clear or remove. 

Customer knows its being milled so will be a mess of sawdust and if it were me i would only want the main stuff left that is suitable for planking. Anything else is between the tree surgeon and the customer to clear or remove. 

That’s the point. If it’s crap the customer has to call the tree surgeons back to do the extra work removing the stem. There’s a big difference in the amount of work for the tree surgeon felling it.

5 minutes ago, lux said:

That’s the point. If it’s crap the customer has to call the tree surgeons back to do the extra work removing the stem. There’s a big difference in the amount of work for the tree surgeon felling it.

Yes but why would it concern you the miller ? The customer would get max of 25% of any milled stuff and that is only if its any good which you will know once its dropped on the deck 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, lux said:

If it’s no good they have a big old pile of oak rings to cut up or if it’s good for milking they have an easy dismantle with half the waste. emoji106.png

Or perhaps the Tree Surgeon in question thinks a bit of a shame to ring the tree up and thought he'd offer it up to someone local? Saves him Ringing it up and hauling it away if a Miller will do that for him. And the Customer is happy as they'll have a couple of Slabs that will sit in the Shed, warp, check, get Honeycomb then eventually get dumped at the recycling. :D 

• Like 2

Yes but why would it concern you the miller ? 

Because you’d want to know before you put a saw in it. If you take the deal for free wood / planks I wouldn’t want to be lumped with being responsible for removing it if it’s no good as milled timber only firewood or biomass. It’s a big stick to remove for free if it’s worth £ 40 in biomass.... I’d want the tree surgeon to be doing that and I wouldn’t want to see the client stuck with it because neither party assumes responsibility either way.

If I was milling it, I would ask whoever was felling it to do so in advance, say during the week for milling on Saturday. If local enough we would stand and look at where it wants cross-cutting but it could be marked up on photographs. I would anticipate three lumps - the upper two and the main trunk. Once felled, we would know what we were looking at. Three perfect sawlogs with no defects would be nice, but realistically it won't be like that - with photos of top and bottom ends you know what you are working with. If it's too bad to get anything out of any of it, that would be clear in advance. Some metal is to be expected - just have to take spare chains and hope you are lucky with the cuts.

Alec

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lux said:

Because you’d want to know before you put a saw in it. If you take the deal for free wood / planks I wouldn’t want to be lumped with being responsible for removing it if it’s no good as milled timber only firewood or biomass. It’s a big stick to remove for free if it’s worth £ 40 in biomass.... I’d want the tree surgeon to be doing that and I wouldn’t want to see the client stuck with it because neither party assumes responsibility either way.

Just a simple chat before hand will sort that.  First thing mentioned if it was me and your there to mill it not clean some ones mess up. Quick look once its down will tell you if its worth doing.

Edited by topchippyles

Or perhaps the Tree Surgeon in question thinks a bit of a shame to ring the tree up and thought he'd offer it up to someone local? Saves him Ringing it up and hauling it away if a Miller will do that for him. And the Customer is happy as they'll have a couple of Slabs that will sit in the Shed, warp, check, get Honeycomb then eventually get dumped at the recycling. [emoji3] 

More to the point it’s just easier to have the Miller remove it [emoji23]. I agree. For me I’d want to have a base rate cost for the milling that takes into account value of the timber. If its planks for interior use the value is low until they are suitably air dried or kiln dried.
I’ve had superb oak that I’ve air dried to all the good practices to find 3 years down the line it’s propellered right up and no good in long lengths. If it’s gonna move, it’ll move.
Maybe suit someone milling as a hobby in these circumstances.