The Ganoderma thread!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could be phellinus.....could be pheifferi......sure those two know it alls will try and put me right though.:001_smile:

without scopes we willALWAYS be limited, it is the next step, im going to sacrifice much to get one and one that I can shoot through to share.

but then maybe I dont need to now!:thumbup:

Andy,

I'll introduce myself. I'm Gerrit J. Keizer, a Dutch and German mycologist and tree or forest ecologist, author and photographer of the Encyclopaedia of Fungi (Rebo, Lisse/London, 1997/2008), of the CD-ROM The Interactive Guide to Mushrooms and other Fungi (ETI Biodiversity Center (UNESCO), Amsterdam/London, 2010) and of many articles on tree or forest specific mycology, including the soil food web and the role ectomycorrhizal, saprobic and parasitic macrofungi play in the dynamics of tree species specific ecosystems.

Since 1976 I've been working as a "mycology & tree" consultant and an international forest ecological researcher and recently I have taken up teaching again in the curriculum of the Dutch European Tree Worker and European Tree Technician program.

Wow, quite a pedigree, welcome aboard sir:thumbup1:

without scopes we willALWAYS be limited, it is the next step, im going to sacrifice much to get one and one that I can shoot through to share.

but then maybe I dont need to now!:thumbup:

Need? Just get them! Mayby we should set up a fundraise for you so you could start up the HamaLab and do proper ID's for us...:001_tt2::thumbup:

could be phellinus.....could be pfeifferi......sure those two know it alls will try and put me right though.:001_smile:

Sean,

No Phellinus (on beech), but Ganoderma pfeifferi seems correct. To be sure, do the burning match test. If you scratch the reddish to purplish surface with your nail, a yellow layer pops up, which lights up with fiery sparkles if a burning match as held close by, just like the damaged peel of an orange does.

Gerrit J. Keizer

Mr Fungus, there is little info I know of (got Schwarze diagnosis an prognosis) regarding G. pfiefferi strategies/capacity, or G. lucidums

G. resinaceum appears in my codscience approach to be a nasty little rotter, as it also states in Schwarze its ranking 2nd under G. australe for potential. It certainly in my experience appears to have lethal consequences, to both tree and through its consequences, I took a heavily infected oak off a house a few months back!

So if G. australe is no1, with G. resinaceum not far behind where do the others come in these terms, they seem far less problematic in the ancient woods as far as I can see?

Mr Fungus, there is little info I know of (got Schwarze diagnosis an prognosis) regarding G. pfeifferi strategies/capacity, or G. lucidums

G. resinaceum appears in my codscience approach to be a nasty little rotter, as it also states in Schwarze its ranking 2nd under G. australe for potential. It certainly in my experience appears to have lethal consequences, to both tree and through its consequences, I took a heavily infected oak off a house a few months back!

So if G. australe is no1, with G. resinaceum not far behind where do the others come in these terms, they seem far less problematic in the ancient woods as far as I can see?

I couldn't agree more. Ganoderma resinaceum is an extremely dangerous white rotter (with selective delignification) when attacking Quercus rubra or Ulmus spp. And it also can be detrimental to young Quercus robur (but not so much to old and very big trunked Q. robur) as the photo shows. This young oak had fallen overnight without wind triggering it.

My experience with G. pfeifferi, which in my research regions only grows on old beeches (and one time on Tilia), is that it is a slow rotter, becoming old with the tree.

And as far as G. lucidum is concerned, depending on the wood quality of the tree, it can be rather harmless (Quercus, Fagus) to quite detrimental and dangerous (Populus, Salix, Ulmus).

Bare in mind, that the experiments of Francis Schwartze are performed under in vitro, i.e. laboratory conditions and not in vivo or in situ, i.e. in the field (lanes) or in forests under quite differing conditions.

Gerrit J. Keizer

Zomereik-Harslakzwam-windwo.jpg.a85b68c1a8e7052341e833738f0e524d.jpg