Grey squirrel management

If you look at the reviews it seems some people find CO2 traps work really well and others have problems.

Siting the trap seems to be one of the main reasons. This matches up with my experience with the bodygrip traps. Ones that have been sited well (both on a small oak that has been badly stripped of bark) and baited for a week or so before setting the trap seem to catch within hours of being set. The same traps on other trees in the same woodland catch nothing.

Shooting is good sport. Recently I’ve had a variant of greys, locally, smaller, a gingery brown with tufts on ears. Must be some mutation. Anyway, they still taste ok

Reds sometimes are black in north wales [emoji1]

Seen some in north wales nearly this black apprently they  imported  a batch from czech repulbic to repopulate and the the czech ones were dark brown /black

Eichh%C3%B6rnchen_007.jpg

they also won't be helping the Scottish wildcat either if there even is any left.

Wildcats supposedly eat polecats.

EDIT: Meant to  write Wildcats supposedly eat pine martens[emoji57]

When I was a child and got my first air rifle I used to shoot greys in the woods near Soutborough in Kent. There were 4 or 5 pure white albino squirrels amongst the local population, which I reduced in number by one. Best success was from resting on my bedroom window until my Dad bolloxed me for chewing up the window sill with misdirected shots at the ground hoppers.
  • Like 1

Yesterday, I returned to a wood that we had previously cleared of greys and it remains clear. That is not to say that it cannot be re-populated in the future. I also checked a wood cleared a few months ago and that also remains clear. It's a pity that a more concerted effort is not made countrywide. If anyone needs a hand in clearing greys in the East Midlands, please get in touch. There is no charge for our efforts. All that I would ask is that the wood owner makes a small donation to the Red Squirrel Survival Trust. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Reds sometimes are black in north wales emoji1.png

Seen some in north wales nearly this black apprently they  imported  a batch from czech repulbic to repopulate and the the czech ones were dark brown /black

Eichh%C3%B6rnchen_007.jpg

Wildcats supposedly eat polecats.

EDIT: Meant to  write Wildcats supposedly eat pine martensemoji57.png

When I was a child and got my first air rifle I used to shoot greys in the woods near Soutborough in Kent. There were 4 or 5 pure white albino squirrels amongst the local population, which I reduced in number by one. Best success was from resting on my bedroom window until my Dad bolloxed me for chewing up the window sill with misdirected shots at the ground hoppers.

Can I ask where you got the info the wild cats eat pine martens?

41 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Can I ask where you got the info the wild cats eat pine martens?

I can imagine they will if they got the chance esp if PM was sick injured or old.

Wouldn't be an easy meal for them. Vicious sods

Most predators will eat anything they can and since they both lie in the same habitat.

PM are far more common in many parts of Scotland than made out.

There is evidence of PM predating on wildcat dens, young kittens, infact 1 wildcat charity stopped putting artificial nest/den boxes up for wildcats as they thought were getting too much predation in the man made boxes.

Most predators never pass up an easy meal no matter how rare the meal is.

Is it not Woburn that has the 'black' grey squirrels?

I got one. Bloody rubbish. Not one success

I read a couple of reviews saying that they had no success with the provided bait, but when swapped with peanut butter bait it worked well. Have u tried different baits or is the trap just generally shizen?