Red diesel

Baldbloke

38 minutes ago, porky said:

Is there ethanol in Red diesel? Or is it exactly the same as White simply died Red?

White diesel has it and will increase to 10% this year so loads of lesser used plant sitting around with it it may cause problems.

Yes red also contains ethanol, but not sure of the percentage.  My kiln is diesel fired and is meant to r run on pure diesel with no ethanol.  I failed to find a supplier of pure diesel so I have always run it on red against the manufacturer’s advice. 

Edited by Squaredy

Ethanol in diesel ? , I was under the impression that Ethanol went into petrol as the "green" bit and diesel got its bio credentials from vegetable oil.

Clearing virgin forests to grow palm oil and then just sticking it into fuel to make it green I find questionable 😠

• Like 6

On 18/04/2021 at 08:09, porky said:

Is there ethanol in Red diesel? Or is it exactly the same as White simply died Red?

White diesel has it and will increase to 10% this year so loads of lesser used plant sitting around with it it may cause problems.

I think the Nfu Scotland and some forestry bods managed to take the bio desiel out off Scottish red, not sure if nation wide, but was an article in a forestry magazine claiming it as having too many fuel/filter issues with modern machinery

29 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

I think the Nfu Scotland and some forestry bods managed to take the bio desiel out off Scottish red, not sure if nation wide, but was an article in a forestry magazine claiming it as having too many fuel/filter issues with modern machinery

Is this several years ago ? as there was a few farms around here that had a lot of filter issues, after about half a dozen tanks through machine it would just start and struggle to run with loss of power, just change diesel filter and off again, not a ideal situation really, when your towing a 36ft trailer loaded with big bales,,

As far as I understand there won’t be Red diesel available to buy anywhere, only what we know as white. The rumours have been doing the rounds for several years so none of this is new. It’s assumed agriculture and forestry will be able to claim the tax back(or most of it[emoji848])

As someone as already mentioned diesel stolen from farm tanks, tractors and big plant as been made more attractive for the thieves. At least with red if by the unlikely chance a transit was pulled by the police and found to have red in the tank it was taken off the road[emoji848]

If they’re doing away with red entirely it seems odd that there’ll be a requirement for the new restrictions on construction and quarrying machinery not to either contain red diesel or have it available in the yards where those newly prohibited vehicles could access it. In the proposals it states that any vessel and supply lines previously holding Red would need to be flushed until no visible dye remained.

If they were doing away with red entirely, there should be no so such requirement, as any remaining stock would obviously have had to have been purchased prior to the date of abolishing it and it couldn’t be proven to have been bought illegally after the new regs came into being in force.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, porky said:

I read on one supplier site that Gov.uk didn't want operators to flush their tanks as that would lead to environmental pollution and were waiting for guidance.

Empty as much as you can, part fill with white & use as normal to empty but before the dead line. Next full fill & the amount left wont be measurable. No need to flush & dispose of unless done on D day.

• Like 2

On 18/04/2021 at 08:09, porky said:

Petrol contains currently 7-10% ethanol as "bio fuel" component usually from either the Sugar industry or Corn growers in say the US.

Diesel is currently 7% bio fuel which will be derived from natural oils either virgin Vegetable oil, reclaimed oils, and animal fats all reacted with Methanol to produce the fuel.

Many many users have had filter issues with fuels Red and white as the current base stock fuels are the same and have been since 1st January 2010 which are Ultra low sulphur fuels as these are the only fuels that will work with DPF and SCR emissions control systems.

The difference comes in the Dye firstly then the Additive package that's added to the fuel when loaded at the tank farm so the high grade expensive V power fuel is the same base stock as Farmer joes Red diesel both with a % of bio fuel in them and the difference being the V power has some very good effective Additive package added and they bump the fuel price accordingly, all diesel has to meet EN590 specs.

A lot of issues arose when the addition of the Bio fuel was started as the Bio fuel is an excellent cleaner it strips dirt and residue from tanks etc and this in suspension causes the blocked filters etc this is ongoing as lots of sites have older tanks and machines with dirty tanks and event the tank farms I guess ! 

I know at least two farmers who only use GTL (gas to liquid) fuel at a 5p per litre premium as it has no bio fuel element and its much much cleaner and apparently environmentally much less harmful and since running on it have no filter issues. 

https://certasenergy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Cleaner-Fuel-for-Cleaner-Air-Brochure-NEW.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1