Red diesel

Baldbloke

30 minutes ago, djbobbins said:

Indeed - for farms and various other users (heat in non-commercial premises, running a genny, fuelling trains, mowing a golf course - but only if it’s community owned and for amateurs, not for commercial gain) red is staying.

Interesting link but the bit about golf courses is ambiguous, is it amateur golf courses, community owned or any golf courses? I imagine a lot of politicians are members of golf clubs where the membership holds the shares. I am also highly biased as I think many golf courses use pesticides indiscriminently compared with farming.

7 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Was in a farm yard tonight cutting some dead trees up to go in to a boiler, when Sam rolled in with a John Deer with a 6 furrow plough, and pulled up to the diesel tank to fill up, he came across and said he had been out since just gone 6 and it would be dark when he gets back, he went back to see how his refueling was going and all i heard was loads of bad language, there is 2 6000 ltr tanks side by side that where filled up monday diner time, the one he was using was now empty, Sam has been ploughing for 2 days with a 300hp JD another lad is tanking with another 300hp JD and 4000 gallon tank, another umbilicaling, another spreading box muck to be ploughed in, various sheds being cleaned out now stock has gone out, so 6000 ltrs of fuel in 3 1/2 days = 3.8 k if they had to run on full cost fuel they would of used £7800 in the 3 1/2 days making a £4000 differenc so how much would are food have to go up ??  this is starting to look a bit different now and that 4k only equates to 3 1/2 days they have loads more to do yet like preping the seed bed drilling it, more ploughing when the Maize goes in in may, so if this is only 3 1/2 days how much will it cost in total with the other 361 1/2 days added to 3 1/2 ? and some say they wouldnt mind paying full price for diesel ?, bit of a difference tho between using 25ltrs or 12,000ltes a week, if this was past on to the end user how much would are food go up ??? i dont even want to think about it,,,

Totally agree that a large farm will use a lot of diesel. 

I live near to a medium size haulage firm who have 100+ trucks on the road, and they would use easily 25,000 litres of diesel per day, and of course they have to use white diesel.  And yet I can still pop to my local Tesco and buy enough food to feed my family all day for less than an hour's pay at minimum wage.

• Like 4

Interesting link but the bit about golf courses is ambiguous, is it amateur golf courses, community owned or any golf courses? I imagine a lot of politicians are members of golf clubs where the membership holds the shares. I am also highly biased as I think many golf courses use pesticides indiscriminently compared with farming.

It’s an interesting topic re: golf courses. I initially read it as being only those which are community-owned, but you’re right, it’s ambiguous. The definition of community could be quite broad and might well include any organisation owned by its members.

I assume however it rules out e.g. commercial football grounds / clubs, who if the are privately owned and can pay players £100k a year (even at League 2 level), or much more in higher tiers, ought to be able to cough up some fuel duty anyway.

Totally agree that a large farm will use a lot of diesel. 

I live near to a medium size haulage firm who have 100+ trucks on the road, and they would use easily 25,000 litres of diesel per day, and of course they have to use white diesel.  And yet I can still pop to my local Tesco and buy enough food to feed my family all day for less than an hour's pay at minimum wage.

That’s because food is subsidised through your tax. Foods not really cheap, if you’re paying tax you’re paying for the real cost and that of those who don’t or can’t pay tax.

But you’re right, for an hours pay you can feed a family for the whole day. That’s why I don’t buy into kids from poor neighbourhoods needing lunches delivered to their homes when not in school. It’s just sheer laziness.
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

That’s because food is subsidised through your tax. Foods not really cheap, if you’re paying tax you’re paying for the real cost and that of those who don’t or can’t pay tax.

But you’re right, for an hours pay you can feed a family for the whole day. That’s why I don’t buy into kids from poor neighbourhoods needing lunches delivered to their homes when not in school. It’s just sheer laziness.

Millions of families struggle to make ends meet every week and why is there so many food banks needed. Talking total tosh there trigger.

Edited by topchippyles

Millions of families struggle to make ends meet every week and why is there so many food banks needed. Talking total tosh there trigger.

As ever we’re drifting off the topic....
Sorry Les not sure I agree with your point. Millions may well be struggling to make ends meet every week but I doubt the cost of food is the primary factor.
Many have no ability to prioritise where they spend their money, and IMHO all the time the state or charities fill in the gap, or kids ain’t educated in budgeting they never will.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, djbobbins said:

It’s an interesting topic re: golf courses. I initially read it as being only those which are community-owned, but you’re right, it’s ambiguous. The definition of community could be quite broad and might well include any organisation owned by its members.

I assume however it rules out e.g. commercial football grounds / clubs, who if the are privately owned and can pay players £100k a year (even at League 2 level), or much more in higher tiers, ought to be able to cough up some fuel duty anyway.

I can't but wonder how it will all play out, for one I doubt those few facilities that sell red diesel from the pump will continue to be able to.

What is the definition of horticulture the government will agree?

Assuming they have access to red diesel will an arb firm be able to use it in their chipper, whilst it is road going it's not a mechanically propelled vehicle, or is it if it is towed? I can see pruning trees in a supermarket car park will be commercial but doing the same in a private garden is horticultural.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I can't but wonder how it will all play out, for one I doubt those few facilities that sell red diesel from the pump will continue to be able to.

What is the definition of horticulture the government will agree?

Assuming they have access to red diesel will an arb firm be able to use it in their chipper, whilst it is road going it's not a mechanically propelled vehicle, or is it if it is towed? I can see pruning trees in a supermarket car park will be commercial but doing the same in a private garden is horticultural.

Will be like all the other fuel regs even the government doesn't know how it work's so how will we. 

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

Really? Dont think so Leslie. 

If she can feed her family for £20 and look this well fed then Im sure anyone can. You're talking utter Tosh there.

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Lorna Cooper, 44, from Paisley near Glasgow, has 554,000 followers on her Facebook page where she regularly shares...

• Like 1