import costs

Tippin Alaybye

first of all, thank you to everyone who voted Leave.

bought a woodland mills sharpener, eventually arrived today from a slow boat from Sweden.

decided last week I had to get the tooth setter as well.

just had an email from UPS saying I have to pay import duty.

never did for the sharpener.

I got stung last month ordering a rifle scope from Finland, having to pay £200 import duty.

no mention of import costs on the woodland mills website.

anyone with knowledge or experience with this?

• Sad 1

Not sure why you’ve edited a simple request and days after the first post made it political? Perhaps to get a reaction?

Anyway, since you’ve done so I’ll bite. :)

I voted leave as I’m sure you’re aware. I can guarantee it impacts me significantly more financially each month than your one off tax. But I believe it’s for the greater good of the U.K. so it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.

The EU’s vaccine roll out has been an absolute shambles, where we to have remained in the EU we’d have been dragged into its mess and undoubtedly many more elderly would have died of Covid than already have.

So yes, we should thank the leave voters for saving lives and perhaps we should not be so selfish. I’m sure you agree a few hundred quid in tax is a small price to pay for saving lives.

Good luck in your hunt to an answer to your query.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

bought a woodland mills sharpener, eventually arrived today from a slow boat from Sweden.

decided last week I had to get the tooth setter as well.

just had an email from UPS saying I have to pay import duty.

never did for the sharpener.

I got stung last month ordering a rifle scope from Finland, having to pay £200 import duty.

no mention of import costs on the woodland mills website.

anyone with knowledge or experience with this?

It's nothing to do with Brexit. As far as I'm aware customs only check random parcels and it's just bad luck if you get caught. I've had it on a couple of DVDs years ago but it's quite rare.

• Like 1

Yep, i'm in Sweden, and have stopped ordering/purchasing from the UK until everyone's up to speed.

My accountant did go through it all with me, but i zoned out tbh, plenty of EU suppliers to choose from.

As i badly remember, the Uk's now out of Europe, so its like trading with the states, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes its 0% duty, sometimes not. super important to declare everything properly for book-keeping though. plus there was something about it being my, the consumer, responsibility to pay the correct customs charges, edit, maybe it was the transport firms responsibility to collect the customs charges, either way, not the retailers.

Shipping will take longer due to more paperwork at customs, transport costs have nearly tripled, even the UK supplier thought it outrageous. 

A friend who works in a shop says its been a lot more hassle after brexit, even the simplest of letters/birthday cards now needs a customs declaration, and delivery times have gone from a few days to a few weeks (unsure how much Covid has contributed to that though)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

Ffs is good humour a six letter word now? I will forgive any fascist that voted leave (except trig and his mate) if I get an answer. I’m prepared to look kindly on the older generation that doesn’t know any different about Johnny Foreigner.

What an utterly pathetic view of people who voted leave. That in your mind they are mostly all old codgers that dont know any better or have a quaint but racist view of those from outside of the UK. They could not possibly be intelligent people from all walks of life, of all ages and all races that see the EU for what it is and see its failings. 

For someone with two bunnies hugging as an avatar you really come across as a nasty piece of work. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

I imported an item and had to pay the vat and a surcharge of £15.50 from fedex 

I bought about £250 of spares from Logosol. All direct from Sweden to my UK address and never paid a penny. Because of covid and its screwing up the global supply chain I now ship to mates in Norway and hand carry back to the UK. Id happily help others out of they'd like to take that offer up. :) 

What an utterly pathetic view of people who voted leave. That in your mind they are mostly all old codgers that dont know any better or have a quaint but racist view of those from outside of the UK. They could not possibly be intelligent people from all walks of life, of all ages and all races that see the EU for what it is and see its failings. 

For someone with two bunnies hugging as an avatar you really come across as a nasty piece of work. 

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]no. I’m not going to bite you incorrigible rogue you

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

Yep, i'm in Sweden, and have stopped ordering/purchasing from the UK until everyone's up to speed.

My accountant did go through it all with me, but i zoned out tbh, plenty of EU suppliers to choose from.

As i badly remember, the Uk's now out of Europe, so its like trading with the states, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes its 0% duty, sometimes not. super important to declare everything properly for book-keeping though. plus there was something about it being my, the consumer, responsibility to pay the correct customs charges, edit, maybe it was the transport firms responsibility to collect the customs charges, either way, not the retailers.

Shipping will take longer due to more paperwork at customs, transport costs have nearly tripled, even the UK supplier thought it outrageous. 

A friend who works in a shop says its been a lot more hassle after brexit, even the simplest of letters/birthday cards now needs a customs declaration, and delivery times have gone from a few days to a few weeks (unsure how much Covid has contributed to that though)

I'm probably being pedantic but the UK is out of the EU not Europe. It might seem a trivial point to some but it is not. One is geographical the other political. Even my girlfriend who voted remain and works in clinical trials with EU countries gets wound up by this.

• Like 4