Conifer logs

Jack.P

Just been to look at a job and they want a large pile of conifer logs removed .it looks like they have been cut for firewood but not split and been sitting there for about 4 yrs .what are the chances of being able to split them by hand ?? otherwise will tip the lot but a bit of a waste of dry wood 

Is there enough to make a day's hire of a small splitter feasible?  If the stuff's already in log length rings I think you'll manage by hand actually except for the gnarly bits and they're chainsaw fodder.

I have a heap - probably 10 pickups or more - of Western Red Cedar dumped in the garden.  Despite a previous claim on here that I wouldn't be touching them I'm starting to clear them and I've been breaking rings OK with a splitting axe.

There was some spruce with it too that I've kept; that split fine too.  I reckon the lot's been down 4 or 5 years.

Edited by nepia

2 minutes ago, nepia said:

Is there enough to make a day's hire of a small splitter feasible?  If the stuff's already in log length rings I think you'll manage by hand actually except for the gnarly bits and they're chainsaw fodder.

I could hire a tow machine but all added cost and would probably just tip them instead  .i seem to remember they can go nearly as hard as eucalyptus if left for too long ? some like that before had to be sawed down  and wouldn’t bother with all that faf again .

Arn't they splitting a bit anyway? My thought that if you are loading them into the van / trailer to take away is it much of a detour to go home and try to split some? Splitting some this evening that have been lying about 2 years and they are OK, only 18" diameter though so not massive. Might be they go rock hard but they would also depend on if they have been stored left in full sunshine, or in the wettest part of the garden