Jensen a530 hopper change?

swinny

Just wondering if anyone has ever changed the hopper on a Jensen a530 from sloping to folding hopper?

We don't use the chipper much at all but watching the lads feed it and mess about is painful. I'm considering changing the hopper to a fold down hopper which will be a lot better for us. 

I know the outlet bit from the chipper needs.modification etc, also the link between the stop bar and HYD spool for forwards and backwards would want altering etc. 

Just seeing if it's viable or if anyone else has done this? If so it will save me 10-12k which is what I would.have had to spend to replace it, freeing that brass up for something else. 

Cheers

I know what you mean about the slope! It was done so that they could fit a top bar which was cheaper to make, and easier to set up and less chance of a 'nuisance' trip of the bottom bar. But that slope does mean extra work collecting up all the sticks etc!

I would check the mounting area and if they look compatible, ring around to see if anything is being scrapped, and acquire a new chute/flap and bar. Otherwise, it might just be the time to rid yourself of it and the hassle and buy one that is suitable equipped already!

18 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I know what you mean about the slope! It was done so that they could fit a top bar which was cheaper to make, and easier to set up and less chance of a 'nuisance' trip of the bottom bar. But that slope does mean extra work collecting up all the sticks etc!

I would check the mounting area and if they look compatible, ring around to see if anything is being scrapped, and acquire a new chute/flap and bar. Otherwise, it might just be the time to rid yourself of it and the hassle and buy one that is suitable equipped already!

Hi Pete,

Yes when you fell a tree in a field and it obliterates into a million pieces and lads are trying to shove it all up hill with shovel into a.chipper ballache!

Yes that's where I'm at.... Found a hopper for reasonable brass, just no linkage .. would have to fabricate this and part of the mounting to the chipper. 

Ideally if I could find either a tw190 or maybe a gm1928 I wouldn't bother. Just think the 1928 be a bit numb for me.

The linkage to a spool valve could be available off the shelf from T H Whites, the importer, or through one of their sub dealers. I got a PX 530 outside the house if you need specific pictures?

5 minutes ago, PeteB said:

The linkage to a spool valve could be available off the shelf from T H Whites, the importer, or through one of their sub dealers. I got a PX 530 outside the house if you need specific pictures?

Is it a tracked or road tow Pete? Thanks

no but at work we had both types and the fold down hopper was far nicer to use though.  i cant remeber the fixed one but the fold down hopper just had hanging brackets and 2 bolts holding it on , and a kinda bent rod to control the feed roller hydraulics.  we often took our hopper off to gain accsess in tight spots.

is the hydraulic block in the same spot on both ? i have a feeling it is.

we no longer have the fixed hopper model but we have the fold down model still at work if you want me to check anything ( iam assuming this is a tracked machine?)

i know why your thinking about doing it , that hopper is so low, great for sycamore coppice , crap for everything else, i used to ramp it up at the front on a couple of logs to try and save my back.

carl

• Like 1

Well.i went for it in the end.... Bought the hopper etc and stuff to make the linkages to work the rollers.... 

Haven't bothered doing major works to the housing on the chipper it sits on so still slopes there and in the first part of the hopper.... But the fold down bit sits level so doesn't let crap fall.on the floor! 

Also the top being scalloped out means it's a lot easier to see what your doing and better for your back! Rather than ducking and shoving stuff up to the rollers with the old hopper!

Will put some pics up when I've thrown (literally) some paint on the hopper so it doesn't look as daft! It's currently fountain colours lol on an orange chipper! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...