Stihl ms 660

topchippyles

I have a mates stihl ms 660 on loan milling some ash but noticed today fuel leaking. Stripped a few parts off and it looks like the gasket between the tank and the rear handle has broken down. Has anyone changed one and do i have to split the handle from the main body to access the tank and gasket ?

Edited by topchippyles

5 minutes ago, peatff said:

Isn't the tank and handle an integral part ? If it's leaking between the handle and the tank is sounds like it all need replacing.

All saws i have seen previous have a complete fuel tank with the fuel line attached but this is spit in half with a gasket by the looks.

Edited by topchippyles

1 minute ago, Moose McAlpine said:

It's not difficult to replace, but you have to strip the saw quite a bit.

20200922_100110.jpg

20200922_100117.jpg

20200922_100122.jpg

20200922_110535.jpg

That is exactly what i was after moose thanks mate. Will the back handle detach from the main body easily enough without stripping it all down. 

55 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

That is exactly what i was after moose thanks mate. Will the back handle detach from the main body easily enough without stripping it all down. 

It will need to be stripped as it is in the photo but it's actually not that bad. The front handle comes off, then it's just removing the carb, fuel lines, etc from the back handle/tank/carb mount assembly. Some vibration mounts and such, coil & plug wire, the induction hose between the cylinder and carb mount.

The choke/kill switch is a little fiddly but it's actually quite straightforward despite how it looks. Probably about a 30 minute job.

Edited by Moose McAlpine
  • Thanks 1

That's a MS661 but pretty similar, you need to remove the carb, undo all the AV mounts, remove the top handle and then pull the fuel tank off and then refit the new one.

Takes 30 mins - 1hr and is relatively simple.

The tank to plastic handle is plastic welded and can crack. Be 100% sure the join has cracked and is the issue as the new tank isn't cheap!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spudulike said:

That's a MS661 but pretty similar, you need to remove the carb, undo all the AV mounts, remove the top handle and then pull the fuel tank off and then refit the new one.

Takes 30 mins - 1hr and is relatively simple.

The tank to plastic handle is plastic welded and can crack. Be 100% sure the join has cracked and is the issue as the new tank isn't cheap!

Cheers spud just testing the fix funny enough. What i was finding when i was milling with the saw and i re fuelled it would not start back up so i fuelled it up while it was running and 2 minutes later she started leaking so must have expended the tank and blew the metal gasket between the tank and the plastic handle. Stripped it down and cleaned everything up sealed it with a high module silicon between the joint and seems to be ok at the moment. Have started and ran the saw for a couple of minutes 

• Like 1