Oregon 620 sharpener?

Paddy1000111

• 1 month later...

So I picked up a Oregon 620. I tried to get the tecomec version as it was cheaper but after 3 weeks of faffing they weren't able to ship it to the UK 🤦🏼. Bit of an odd question on discs. Why does it have the same discs for 1/4-.325-3/8p and then another for 3/8-404? Surely it should be a different disc for each size? 

Also realised that even though it's advertised as going to 40 degrees it only goes to 45 which is a little annoying! 

7 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

So I picked up a Oregon 620. I tried to get the tecomec version as it was cheaper but after 3 weeks of faffing they weren't able to ship it to the UK 🤦🏼. Bit of an odd question on discs. Why does it have the same discs for 1/4-.325-3/8p and then another for 3/8-404? Surely it should be a different disc for each size? 

Also realised that even though it's advertised as going to 40 degrees it only goes to 45 which is a little annoying! 

I wondered about this when I got a grinder but when you think about the radius in the gullet does none of the cutting. The side plate and top plate angels are what matter. Suspect the recommendation for a the thicker grinding disc for the larger chains is more to do with them being stronger as  you are removing more metal, Least thats my take on it 

• Like 1

Ahh interesting! It just seems odd? Surely if the wheel size is off you can't touch up a chain in the field with a file as the profile isn't right? It explains why a new chain takes a few passes for the file to bed in though! 

Also makes me realise I should have used the larger wheel on the .325 chain 🤦🏼

Edited by Paddy1000111

6 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Surely if the wheel size is off you can't touch up a chain in the field with a file as the profile isn't right?

That is the case to an extent. Better to have a smaller disk as when using the the file it will touch up the cutter from the off but wont if you have used a bigger disk with larger radius than your file size. 

I think the 4.7mm (large) wheel is about right for .325 as the Stihl file is 4.8mm. it's smaller than a standard .404 file so like you say it will make touch ups easier. 

I've just done my milling chains and it seems to leave a nice profile. Barely takes anything off when it's set up right and doesn't leave a bur so all in all I'm quite happy! The 74" skip chain I have clipped a piece of dirt or something so it was nice not to have to mess about filing that out. Just did one side and then reset for the other using a pair of Vernier calipers to make sure the teeth are the same. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I think the 4.7mm (large) wheel is about right for .325 as the Stihl file is 4.8mm. it's smaller than a standard .404 file so like you say it will make touch ups easier. 

I've just done my milling chains and it seems to leave a nice profile. Barely takes anything off when it's set up right and doesn't leave a bur so all in all I'm quite happy! The 74" skip chain I have clipped a piece of dirt or something so it was nice not to have to mess about filing that out. Just did one side and then reset for the other using a pair of Vernier calipers to make sure the teeth are the same. 

Is that set to 0° ?