Upgraded Alaskan clamp

Big Beech

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

5mm bolts wont be any good if they are an imperial thread though ...

They are bringing a few bits and some taps if need be. Which ever is the best and cheapest option.

Such an oversight, ok inleft it to the last minute for fitting but why not use standard metric bolts 🤷‍♂️

OK,  so what a major ball ache.

We got said bolts tightend, and all headed in the right direction.... until.....

Who decided yet again to use 5/16 unc bolts for the clamps.

As it appears that the GB bars are ever so slightly thicker than stihl bars, resulting in barely enough thread to hold things tight in the nuts.

Tighten my chain and reset clamps and strip the threads on the welded nut 🤦‍♂️

What a bastard day, and didn't even start the saw. Hopefully tomorrow see some progress.

Day wasted driving around trying to fix things.

20210413_091914.jpg

20210413_091401.jpg

2 minutes ago, Big Beech said:

OK,  so what a major ball ache.

We got said bolts tightend, and all headed in the right direction.... until.....

Who decided yet again to use 5/16 unc bolts for the clamps.

As it appears that the GB bars are ever so slightly thicker than stihl bars, resulting in barely enough thread to hold things tight in the nuts.

What a bastard day, and didn't even start the saw. Hopefully tomorrow see some progress.

Day wasted driving around trying to fix things.

20210413_091914.jpg

20210413_091401.jpg

God hates you .

21 minutes ago, Big Beech said:

Yep, even with the Stihl bar the bolts are only just long enough and no more. I suppose at least for these bolts you can just use easy to find M8 nuts and bolts.

I fitted my new brackets today and although I can see that they'll not snap like the old ones, I didn't like the way that the U bolt ends a nuts now stick out right at the saw's oil tank and lose me a 1/2" in the max cut + another 1/4" to be safe... so I turned the end bracket next to the saw round but that means reading the scale doesn't line up, pita.

I can see that I'll probably weld up and strengthen the originals and refit that next to the saw, if I ever get round to it....I'm not bothered about the unified threads and I love milling with it,  but considering the price of a mill now I'm not super impressed with the ' all American ' engineering... hope tomorrow goes better, cheers.