Converting log splitter to single handled operation

Gav73

Could really do with making my Posch hydrocombi single handed operation. I know the law and I know why but to me it makes it more dangerous a lot of the time. I end up having to use my knee or summat to hold the log in place until the blade bites. The number of times the log moves as the blade touches it is infuriating.

Only me using the machine.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, doobin said:

I fitted my splitter with a spool block and lever with a detent on the return, so you can set it going back up and throw the split log onto the pile whilst it does. 

A very useful feature but you do need to be aware of what danger it can present, particularly if there is any way you can get trapped by the returning ram. For example I had a horizontal splitter with return detent and it would be very easy to reach over the splitter to reach a fallen log and be trapped and very seriously injured and probably a worse injury than removing a few fingers.

• Like 1

I always operate mine vertical, I still would if I didn't have any large diameter wood

I only do that if I’m dealing with rounds that can’t easily be lifted up when splitting in the horizontal.

Vertical is slooooooow. A 4/6 way head, a Hookeroon and a set of lifting tongs will transform your splitting day and produce far more bags of logs. (From my own experience anyway)
  • Like 2

I'll be getting my custom splitter going with a log lift for those big rings I get regularly. I'll split up to 8 logs in a full hydraulic cycle, straight-grained rings only. I'll still get use out of my slow machines by splitting the uglys, for helping hands and renting out the machines or splitting wood for customers.

• Like 1

I'll be getting my custom splitter going with a log lift for those big rings I get regularly. I'll split up to 8 logs in a full hydraulic cycle, straight-grained rings only. I'll still get use out of my slow machines by splitting the uglys, for helping hands and renting out the machines or splitting wood for customers.

My splitter came with a log lift. Was the first thing to come off. 🤣
  • Like 1

Bit of flat bar and round tube and ten mins with a mig, need to reduce the height of the handle a touch and will get round to sticking a spare MX Bike grip on at some point. Night and day difference for the better when using the machine. 

530507F3-0510-46D5-8B06-3E44CA9ACA6B.png

• Like 5

I only do that if I’m dealing with rounds that can’t easily be lifted up when splitting in the horizontal.

Vertical is slooooooow. A 4/6 way head, a Hookeroon and a set of lifting tongs will transform your splitting day and produce far more bags of logs. (From my own experience anyway)

I agree, I’ve only used my splitter vertically two or three times, just the thought of having to constantly bend down or crouch to split logs makes my back twinge!

• Like 2