Excessive bar wear

the village idiot

1 minute ago, dumper said:

So you have checked bar ,chains ,rims ,pump what about the chain oil you use?

Arborol generally gets a pretty favourable write up in terms of chain and bar wear but I am up for trying something different. 

Do any of you get good results with any other plant based oils?

Any pictures of your chains ? My theory is if you don’t keep each cutter the same length , pitch and angle both sides you wear out bars quicker.. You should be getting months out of a bar even cutting that much before the wear becomes too noticeable and even then if you keep an eye on even sharpened cutters the cut won’t deviate too much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Any pictures of your chains ? My theory is if you don’t keep each cutter the same length , pitch and angle both sides you wear out bars quicker.. You should be getting months out of a bar even cutting that much before the wear becomes too noticeable and even then if you keep an eye on even sharpened cutters the cut won’t deviate too much.

I agree.

I have started using a granberg filing machine which gets the tooth length and angles spot on.

I thought tooth length variation might have been the issue but no joy.

Hello G I trust you are well ! just to throw one into the mix I got a replacement bar and chain for one of my toppers from a local agricultural dealer they checked their catalogue and I came away and started using thought this does not seem right quite right but soldiered on anyway after a while I took it  back thinking I had been given a duff chain or bar and it was rechecked and gauge on the chain was wrong when you look at it .2 of a MM does not sound a lot and ordinarily looks fine on the saw but the I got same symptoms as you mention

Consumate professional that you are I am sure your saws will have the correct gauge etc hope you can get to the cause of it soon BTW those Logs and the woodland look great all the best Essexlogman!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Arborol generally gets a pretty favourable write up in terms of chain and bar wear but I am up for trying something different. 

Do any of you get good results with any other plant based oils?

I do a lot of ringing up medium/large trunks , have always used Stihl and recently tried Husqvarna bio oil (don't like the idea of getting covered in  and breathing in mineral chain oil all day ) and have never had any unusual bar/chain wear problems

2 minutes ago, Woodsman1967 said:

I do a lot of ringing up medium/large trunks , have always used Stihl and recently tried Husqvarna bio oil (don't like the idea of getting covered in  and breathing in mineral chain oil all day ) and have never had any unusual bar/chain wear problems

Yes, I am loathe to change to mineral oil if at all possible. I don't really like spraying it all over the woodland.

Will probably do a trial with it though to see if it helps.