Excessive bar wear

the village idiot

Hi Folks,

Wondering if anyone can help with an issue I am having over the last couple of years.

I seem to be getting through an awful lot of chainsaw bars, especially whilst ringing up logs during the spring/summer.

I'm getting wear inside the groove of the bars after only one or two chain sharpens. The chain starts tilting in the bar and the saw stops cutting. I'm not even taking any paint off the bars before they become unusable.

We are pretty diligent with bar dressing and chain sharpening/tensioning so don't think that is the issue. We use Stihl chains, Sugihara and Rolomatic bars and Arborol chain oil.

Anyone out there know what I am doing wrong?

47 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Hi Folks,

Wondering if anyone can help with an issue I am having over the last couple of years.

I seem to be getting through an awful lot of chainsaw bars, especially whilst ringing up logs during the spring/summer.

I'm getting wear inside the groove of the bars after only one or two chain sharpens. The chain starts tilting in the bar and the saw stops cutting. I'm not even taking any paint off the bars before they become unusable.

We are pretty diligent with bar dressing and chain sharpening/tensioning so don't think that is the issue. We use Stihl chains, Sugihara and Rolomatic bars and Arborol chain oil.

Anyone out there know what I am doing wrong?

Try Oregon,see if you get the same problem

Point the bar tip at a freshly cut piece of wood and rev the saw - you should lay down a nice line of oil pretty much immediately.

Is this on all your machines or just one?

Are the oil pumps set to maximum? Especially if you are using a longer bar.

Are your chains sharpened regularly, blunt chains kill bars.

I am assuming that you are using the correct chain for the bar, not 1.5mm on a 1.6mm bar:blushing:

• Like 1

Is this all on the same saw or different ones?

Im having the same  issues with an ea4300. Its oiling fine  im using rapeseed oil atm .

One tank of  fuel always lasts just abit less than  one oil tank which is over 3/4 empty on refueling

Bars outside hardly look worn that much before the inside wearing.

Both on dolmar and an oregon bar 15". Using dolmarr and oregon chains.

Have burred a few drivelinks  throwing chains on blackthorn might be connected. But filed the burs on them before reusing so they ran smooth round the bar.....

Bars groove regulary cleaned out. Wear is  causing cuts to start curving to one side on large diameter logs.

Chain Saw Guide Bar Maintenance

Edited by Stere

17 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I am assuming that you are using the correct chain for the bar, not 1.5mm on a 1.6mm bar

I made this mistake recently, picking out a new old stock 15" chain, and  it cut well at first then after a few sharpens started binding in the cut. Worse thing was I lent it to a mate and it was he who found my mistake.

Happening on all saws, Husky and Stihl, all are oiling OK with oilers turned up to max.

We are careful to match the chains with the bars.

Would love to get 3 or 4 chains to a bar. Currently get half a chain to a bar!!

We have double dawgs on the saws, could this be encouraging us to force the saw through the cut too much?

• Sad 1