Small "Tyre Burning Furnace" for kiln drying logs???

cessna

4 minutes ago, Wonky said:

Just because you say there’s little smoke, that don’t mean little pollution.

I know there’s a tyre problem but to the average person it’s defo not green to burn them in your back yard.

i,m not picking on anyone, but the best thing is just forget the idea of burning them.

Because the easy way of burning can be end up like this pic or the more professional way where you have scrubbers and afterburners to help with the  unburnt and the other pollutants 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12628201.tyre-burning-power-plant-generates-row/

2F834D94-7098-42C3-8CB6-F7F09E394AF7.jpeg

I'm well aware of the pollution, that's why I said "visible smoke" 

I agree that not burning them is the better option, however I stand by the comment that if they were to be burnt, the furnace is "more acceptable". 

That said, I'd rather see them recycled into crumb and the steel extracted than even the "cleanest" way of burning. 

In my opinion burning tyres, by any method, to dry timber is ridiculous.

As for the tyres themselves,It's not like they're going anywhere (no pun intended) so something will have to be done with them. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

What has to be said is burning tyres - no matter how cleanly or efficiently - will produce more harmful pollution than burning other fossil fuels.  And yes, of course tyres are a fossil fuel.  What are modern tyres made from?  Largely oil of course.  But unlike burning petrol or kerosene or diesel, tyres are not designed to be burned, so are undoubtedly much more polluting when burned.

Of course this pollution might pale into insignificance when compared with the tyre dust we must all breathe when we drive or walk near roads.  After all, when tyres wear down what happens to the material that wears off?  If it doesn't end up in the air it must be on the road and in the landscape.  I drive an electric car, but sadly it still wears oil based tyres.

Interesting isn't it that there is so much publicity about diesel particulate pollution, and more recently even woodburning stove pollution, but no mention in the main press of tyre wear pollution.  Interesting article here 

Because tyres are made of natural rubber and plastic, it’s easy to miss just how much they contribute to pollution in our...

for anyone interested.

You and i have been up and down it many times and can see the damage pollution does gavin

Houses on A472 in Hafodyrynys boarde up | South Wales ...

39 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

What has to be said is burning tyres - no matter how cleanly or efficiently - will produce more harmful pollution than burning other fossil fuels.

Why?

What pollutants do you think would come from burning a tyre such that all effluent reached at least 1200C for 2 seconds?

Off the top of my head I can only think of zinc oxide being a problem, most of the iron oxides would remain in the ash and the organic compounds would not survive into the flue gases. Is there something exotic I have missed?

Yes I have actually done this but had to co combust with green arb chip to keep temperatures down, it was over 20 years ago and at the time there was no possibility of getting an exemption to operate it as a small incinerator burning less than 40kg per hour, so we dropped the idea. I can dig up a picture of the device operation but only on arb waste.

At the time even the National Rivers Authority were routinely using tyres dredged up to burn tree waste from their operations, a big no no now.

14 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Why?

I am no scientist, but petrol, diesel and kerosene are refined and designed to give a clean burn.  Tyres are designed to give good grip.  They are not designed to burn cleanly. 

Remember when petrol had lead in, which appeared to burn away quite cleanly; until it was realised it was harming the health of people living near to roads.

12 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I am no scientist, but petrol, diesel and kerosene are refined and designed to give a clean burn. 

Yes but they only have milliseconds in which to do so, as I said a modern, regulated and licensed incineraotor has seconds to make sure combustion is complete.

Tyres are designed to give good grip.

They are not designed to burn cleanly. 

That's right their primary purpose is as a tyre but that does not preclude them being burned cleanly *under the right conditions*

Remember when petrol had lead in, which appeared to burn away quite cleanly; until it was realised it was harming the health of people living near to roads.

That's a non sequitur but yes, just in the same way lead has largely been removed from paint and solder. This latter probably also to do with incineration of old electrical goods.

I'm not advocating burning tyres on the small scale because I cannot see a lawful way of doing it commercially, in the same way one could not use recycled cardboard, which is as near as dammit just wood fibres with a bit of ink and adhesives.

The regulations are such that even if you purpose designed a power station to burn old PET milk bottles as cleanly as a wood burning one you would not be allowed to do it without all the controls of a municipal incinerator burning black bag rubbish. The wood burning power station pays a few quid a tonne for its fuel, a municipal incinerator is paid several tens of pounds per tonne to dispose of the waste and then has to dispose of 30% of the initial weight as ash which is a hazardous waste.

Many thanks for all your replies. 

At 70 I have no intention of building a kiln of any sort, my thread was a theoretical one as waste tyres are so plentiful.   

It is a sad state of affairs that man kind has/is creating products  etc that  are not bio degradable within say one/two years.

Items that come to mind are Nuclear Reactors, Battery Cars , Plastic Packageing,,P,P,Equipment etc,etc.