Small "Tyre Burning Furnace" for kiln drying logs???

cessna

Has anyone successfully constructed  a "Small Tyre Burning Stove /furnace",which in turn  heats a kiln to dry logs ??

I have just Googled "Small Tyre Burning Furnace", and the only article that  comes up that has any similarities to kiln  drying logs , is an American article in The Farm Show Magazine featured in "The Best Stories about Made -It -Myself-Shop .......  .  The article is about a Tire Stove  the father and son constructed to heat their Paint Shop during the cold winter months in, St Cloud, Minnesota  USA   

The only tyre burning furnaces I know of are the industrial ones used in lime kilns. (They usually burn a variety of material, tyres being one) I may be wrong but to get it hot enough to "cleanly" incenerate tyres you would need a fairly complex device.

Would it not be simpler and cleaner to burn the bark, sawdust and offcuts instead. Then recycle the tyres into crumb rather than burning them? 

If you have a link to the furnace you're talking about I'd be interested in having a look.

I think you will find yourself in trouble soon by burning tyres. On a regular basis.

it’s one of the reason we as a country do not export old tyres to certain places in the world, because they burn them to heat kilns and that pollution  is absolutely unreal when you see pictures 

• Like 1

Watch if you can Michael Moore's film Planet of the Humans so called green energy burning green waste with shredded tyres covering a whole town with well you know what, green energy oh yes ! F###ing abhorent when you look what is going on make up your own mind though this is just my opinion others may differ

"removed from YouTube This article is more than 10 months old British environmental photographer’s copyright claim prompts website to remove film that has been condemned by climate scientists"

I wonder why ?

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:

The only tyre burning furnaces I know of are the industrial ones used in lime kilns. (They usually burn a variety of material, tyres being one) I may be wrong but to get it hot enough to "cleanly" incenerate tyres you would need a fairly complex device.

Would it not be simpler and cleaner to burn the bark, sawdust and offcuts instead. Then recycle the tyres into crumb rather than burning them? 

If you have a link to the furnace you're talking about I'd be interested in having a look.

I'm  sorry  I dont have a link as I am not that computer  literate,  all I can say is that I came across  it when I Googled  "Small Tyre Burning Stove" and  this came up  as the first article "The BEST stories about Made-It-Myself Shop...- Farm Show Magazine.  Wish I could be more helpful.

I can't come to terms with  kiln drying companies,businesses etc,  being paid  RHI payments to burn wood to dry wood, something doesn't seem right there to me.   That said if one can claim RHI payments to burn wood to dry wood and make a profit from it good for you, its the  RHI system that is Flawed and not the individual claiming the payments.       

Years ago when the  "Set a Side  Scheme" for farmers to be  paid NOT to plant an area of their farm ,I was only too pleased to spend time filling in the forms and claiming the payment ,even though I thought the system was bonkers!!!!  I have to say that scheme is no longer in place.

Yep if their is any Government payment to be had ,go for it because as a tax payer you will have indirectly paid for your payment you are claiming.     

13 minutes ago, cessna said:

I'm  sorry  I dont have a link as I am not that computer  literate,  all I can say is that I came across  it when I Googled  "Small Tyre Burning Stove" and  this came up  as the first article "The BEST stories about Made-It-Myself Shop...- Farm Show Magazine.  Wish I could be more helpful.

No worries, had a google, surprised how little visible smoke there is when they're up and running. I googled tyre burning furnace. Seems to be plenty out there. Still not too gone on the idea I must admit. 

If I had to run a kiln, I'd consider burning a lot of things before I'd try tyres. 

The flip side is that if a tyre was to end up being burnt either way, then the furnace is the lesser of two evils, I guess. On this basis alone it may be something we end up seeing more of. A counter intuitive "greener" option of sorts.

What has to be said is burning tyres - no matter how cleanly or efficiently - will produce more harmful pollution than burning other fossil fuels.  And yes, of course tyres are a fossil fuel.  What are modern tyres made from?  Largely oil of course.  But unlike burning petrol or kerosene or diesel, tyres are not designed to be burned, so are undoubtedly much more polluting when burned.

Of course this pollution might pale into insignificance when compared with the tyre dust we must all breathe when we drive or walk near roads.  After all, when tyres wear down what happens to the material that wears off?  If it doesn't end up in the air it must be on the road and in the landscape.  I drive an electric car, but sadly it still wears oil based tyres.

Interesting isn't it that there is so much publicity about diesel particulate pollution, and more recently even woodburning stove pollution, but no mention in the main press of tyre wear pollution.  Interesting article here 

Because tyres are made of natural rubber and plastic, it’s easy to miss just how much they contribute to pollution in our...

for anyone interested.

• Like 3

Just because you say there’s little smoke, that don’t mean little pollution.

I know there’s a tyre problem but to the average person it’s defo not green to burn them in your back yard.

i,m not picking on anyone, but the best thing is just forget the idea of burning them.

Because the easy way of burning can be end up like this pic or the more professional way where you have scrubbers and afterburners to help with the  unburnt and the other pollutants 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12628201.tyre-burning-power-plant-generates-row/

Edited by Wonky
Change/Add highlighted pic of point of interest