Marathon Des Sables 2022

TT Arb

2 hours ago, JaySmith said:

I run standard distance marathons as that’s my thing and have got down to 2.35 but have always been drawn to try the MdS at some point in my life. I know how much time goes into normal marathon prep average 80 - 100+ miles a week so training for MdS must be next level! I have always fancied doing the Comrades marathon in SA so that will be the next big one I aim for when restrictions are lifted.

When I looked at MdS in the past there a few groups on Facebook that offer advice and share experiences. For training plans maybe look at somebody like Centurion Running who have a number of high level coaches on there books, they aren’t cheap but you’re getting years and years of knowledge and experience. Tom Evans the Red Bull long distance athlete is connected to Centurion and also offers training plans, he should know what he’s taking about as he came 3rd

Precision Hydration drinker Tom Evans came 3rd at the Marathon Des Sables ultra race. We asked him about his gear, hydration, nutrition and training for MDS.

Thanks for the reply Jay - the Comrades run looks great  - I've got my eye on the Everest marathon after the MdS but as you know the training takes up so much time (not to mention the cost) I'll have to put in the hard yards with the wife to get the nod for that one.....

Thanks for the tip about Tom Evans - I have read about him before - supreme athlete - I'm hoping to get in the to top 50% in the MdS but I'm getting closer to the big 50 by the day so have to pace myself !!

There are so many groups out there with so many people offering advice it's enough to make your head spin - I'm hoping to find someone relatively normal to talk about the practicalities of the planning, race etc but it's proving harder than you would think.....

Thanks again

I suggest do a few UK ones first for  practice if any are still happening with corvid.

& even if they aren't happening you could just run the courses.

Something like Offa's Dyke is similar distance.

Or try sections of this

6 days | 380km | 17,400m - the legendary multi-stage, ultra running journey down the spine of Wales. From Conwy...

Hats off to you for even considering it. Having run just one marathon and barely being able to walk for the week after cant imagine the toll any ultra marathon must inflict on you. Brother has run a few ultra's in SA but dont much about the training he put in

Good luck 

1 hour ago, Stere said:

I suggest do a few UK ones first for  practice if any are still happening with corvid.

& even if they aren't happening you could just run the courses.

Something like Offa's Dyke is similar distance.

Or try sections of this

6 days | 380km | 17,400m - the legendary multi-stage, ultra running journey down the spine of Wales. From Conwy...

Distance is not a problem for me - however, the average daytime temperature is 50 degree celsius which may take a bit of getting used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Im currently training for a couple of races on Snowdon.

Im doing the 50k UTS and also Snowdon Skyrace.

I absolutely cant wait but i think i may have bitten off more than i an chew as its my first ultra! 

But as they say, what the mid believes the body can achieve so watch this space.....

One race you could look at for prep is the Cape Wrath Ultra. Thats a 400k+ multi day race.