Marathon Des Sables 2022

TT Arb

Hi,

I'm in the process of training for the 2022 Marathon Des Sables (150 mile self sufficiency footrace through the Sahara) - Any ultra runners on the forum or anyone completed the race previously ?

Would be good to talk training tactics, kit etc

Cheers 

Steve

2 hours ago, TT Arb said:

Hi,

I'm in the process of training for the 2022 Marathon Des Sables (150 mile self sufficiency footrace through the Sahara) - Any ultra runners on the forum or anyone completed the race previously ?

Cheers 

Steve

Surly there are running forums for this sort of thing 

I used to run short distance ultras in the Alps, in the 50-80km range, that kind of thing, a few races but usually just out on my own. Not once was I ever tempted by the Marathon des Sables, and frankly, I'm a little concerned for anyone who is.

Best of luck with it, have fun.

Regardless, ultrarunning is a great way to keep fit, anyone who can keep running from sunrise to sunset tends to be able to put the effort in at work as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TT Arb said:

Hi,

Cheers 

Steve

Steve, I am not gonna even pretend to be a runner but gotta admire you for doing it.  

A friend of mine from back in London has been training for the last few years for that race.  Last 2 being cancelled so all that training for next to nothing.  He also raised a fair bit of money for charity by running the London marathon during lockdown around his garden.

Top fella.  I used to train at the same gym as him and his family.  I would get in touch if you can and he is a very helpful guy and bloody determined.

All the best.

I run standard distance marathons as that’s my thing and have got down to 2.35 but have always been drawn to try the MdS at some point in my life. I know how much time goes into normal marathon prep average 80 - 100+ miles a week so training for MdS must be next level! I have always fancied doing the Comrades marathon in SA so that will be the next big one I aim for when restrictions are lifted.

When I looked at MdS in the past there a few groups on Facebook that offer advice and share experiences. For training plans maybe look at somebody like Centurion Running who have a number of high level coaches on there books, they aren’t cheap but you’re getting years and years of knowledge and experience. Tom Evans the Red Bull long distance athlete is connected to Centurion and also offers training plans, he should know what he’s taking about as he came 3rd

WWW.PRECISIONHYDRATION.COM

Precision Hydration drinker Tom Evans came 3rd at the Marathon Des Sables ultra race. We asked him about his gear, hydration, nutrition and training for MDS.

7 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Steve, I am not gonna even pretend to be a runner but gotta admire you for doing it.  

A friend of mine from back in London has been training for the last few years for that race.  Last 2 being cancelled so all that training for next to nothing.  He also raised a fair bit of money for charity by running the London marathon during lockdown around his garden.

Top fella.  I used to train at the same gym as him and his family.  I would get in touch if you can and he is a very helpful guy and bloody determined.

All the best.

Cheers Rich - I'll have a look at that.

I was due to have run it March / April this year so can feel his pain regarding the "wasted" training miles. 

• Like 1