Devon/Exeter ARB conversion

Paddy1000111

Yea I wouldn't ever leave anything expensive in there! Saws and utility rods would come out. It's all insured but I want to leave my felling levers, first aid kit, odd ropes, fuel, sharpening kits etc etc in there. Stuff that is all pennies but causing me a massive headache to load and unload every day just to protect myself from an opportunist who might open the back. Plus having to unload my van onto a customer's driveway and then keep an eye on my kit is really annoying! 
My other option is having it only open from the passenger side. I park the van about 6 inches from the garden wall so if I had a door type tool cab it would be inaccessible when parked! 

You should get all of that under the passenger seat bar the fuel though mind.

9 hours ago, topchippyles said:

What is the issue with the 41 bar then.I use a 36 GB milling bar.

Nothing really wrong, just nose heavy with a 41. A 36 would be more ballanced and nicer to use for crosscutting. Also the scabbard for a 41 is 46" so it gets annoying to transport! 

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

You should get all of that under the passenger seat bar the fuel though mind.

It probably would if I didn't have the Stihl quick fill adapters on it makes it slightly too high 🙁

You don’t really want fuel in the cab mind... I keep file kits , wedges, axes and bars and socket sets under the seat and the first aid behind the drivers seat, amazing how many little storage and cubby holes are in the newer transits.
I would keep the fuel in the back with the saws and take it in with them, that’s £90 sitting there filled with aspen and bar oil!

• Like 1

i genuinely think you are gonna be overloaded regardless of what lightweight alloy body you  fit so ya may as well stay as you are in my opinion and run the risk like most others. I buy crew cab transits as i like to remove the rear seats and add shelves for climbing kit, rigging kit etc.  Those roller shutter storage cabinets behind a single cab appear to be a bit narrow unless you get lucky and find a wide version.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, averagearborist said:

Isn't it mad that running an overloaded to the max truck is just standard in tree work. Even proper big proper companies - you just have to.

I think it's standard in every industry really. I'd be curious to know how much most transport vans weigh or even tipper vans that are used for building. With a near 750kg payload that's not even a dumpy bag of sand.