Buying and restoring old cross cut hand saws and two man saws

carbs for arbs

Hi

I've pretty much decided to do all my firewood processing with hand tools.  I'm just processing wood for burning in the house, not for selling.  I'm reading a lot about Silkys and will no doubt be back with questions about those :)  But I'm also keen to try and get an old fashioned cross cut saw or two.  I've no idea what to look out for though, and whether most available locally will be nothing more that "above-the-fire-place" ornaments.  Here's some links to some I have my eye on:  

DRIVE.GOOGLE.COM

DRIVE.GOOGLE.COM

DRIVE.GOOGLE.COM

Is it impossible to tell from photos/videos what they are like?  

Any pointers for what I should be looking out for as a novice?

I also want to learn how to sharpen my own saws - including my Silkys when I have a lot more experience - so would saws like these be a good place to start practising?  

Many thanks

PS - at this stage I don't want convincing that I should get a  chainsaw ;)    

If you really want to cut it by hand I would strongly suggest a Bahco 21" bow saw.

They cut pretty much as well as a Silky and cost a fraction of the price. The blades stay sharp longer than a Silky and are cheap to replace when needed. The blades do rust so it is important to store them dry, that would be true of your crosscut too.

1381490376_97.jpg

6 hours ago, dumper said:

You can buy new try Thomas flinn website

** Now available as a 4ft version too ** These large saws are used mostly in forestry work and the crosscutting of large...

• Like 1

I recall some reasonable YouTube videos on the wranglerstar channel about restoring and sharpening these saws.

Back when his channel was half decent before he got bought out and now just posts rubbish videos destroying cheap tools from Amazon and doing weirdo prepper stuff for the never coming apocalypse....... makes him a living I guess

Anyway. His old tool restoration clips were quite good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

** Now available as a 4ft version too ** These large saws are used mostly in forestry work and the crosscutting of large...

Has anyone got one of the cross cut saws

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

They look great.

I really fancy getting one to mount above the fireplace.