Ash dieback timber - uses for firewood? Use for shelters fencing, etc?

carbs for arbs

Hi all

Recently had around 20 roadside ash trees taken down due to dieback.  I've been reading about uses for the wood, and with a wood stove in the house (with possibly another one or two to come), firewood is an obvious choice.  But we will also be doing a lot of work in the garden - fencing, shelters, benches, etc.  So I'm wondering....:

1. Can it be used for firewood and will it burn as well as undiseased ash? 

2. Is ash generally any good for fencing, shelters, benches, etc.?  Or are there better woods for that kind of thing?  Again, will it be worse because of the disease?

3. Does the “rot” continue to have an affect after felling?  IE – will the wood continue to deteriorate on account of the dieback even once cut down?
4. If it was still reasonably healthy when felled – rather than badly affected - will that help?  I can take some photos when I'm back home showing the tops of the stumps; some of which look like they may not have been affected at all :(  

Any advice most welcomed

Many thanks 

Edited by carbs for arbs

1) Yes, it will burn, it'll probably be bone dry if it isn't made of dust.
2) Ash isn't really suited to being used for outdoor furniture.
3) I think that once the tree is dead, it's dead. Degradation of woody tissues may be arrested if the wood is kept moisture free. Left outside it'll probably turn to mush.
4) Ash Dieback will affect a tree form the 'top down'. You might get some good planks, there's a chance that the dieback will add some nice colouration to any salvageable boards.

1 minute ago, carbs for arbs said:

That's great @Mark J - thanks for sharing your thoughts.  The timber is very sound, and to my very untrained eye seems absolutely fine. In fact, in spite of what people say about burning ash green, I think a few months seasoning will do it good.  But then I'm pretty green too!

Aye, ash is drier than most woods but seasoning any wood will enhance it. Diseased ash will be bone dry though. 

Edited by Mark J

A lot of firewood buyers in the South East are grading Ash with ADB before buying. Any timber with signs of rot and discolouration is being separated into chip stacks for biomass, clean wood for firewood.

They are finding that a lot of the timber with rot/discolouration is shattering under the pressure from the ram/ splitter in a firewood processor and creating firewood like rubble that they cannot sell.

• Thanks 1

From my experience I would say it'll greatly depend on how far gone the tree is. Even trees with fairly dead tops have provided me with decent firewood from the main trunk and branches. And because the tree was still alive it was fairly wet and still needed seasoning.

I can't say I've had many problems splitting it but I just do it for my own use so no problem there.

It'll not be Hymenoscyphus fraxineus that'll degrade the wood once felled but other fungi. As has been said ash isn't durable outside, you'll get a few years out of it but it'll rot.

Edited by Paul in the woods
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, carbs for arbs said:

Hi all

Recently had around 20 roadside ash trees taken down due to dieback.  I've been reading about uses for the wood, and with a wood stove in the house (with possibly another one or two to come), firewood is an obvious choice.  But we will also be doing a lot of work in the garden - fencing, shelters, benches, etc.  So I'm wondering....:

1. Can it be used for firewood and will it burn as well as undiseased ash? 

2. Is ash generally any good for fencing, shelters, benches, etc.?  Or are there better woods for that kind of thing?  Again, will it be worse because of the disease?

3. Does the “rot” continue to have an affect after felling?  IE – will the wood continue to deteriorate on account of the dieback even once cut down?
4. If it was still reasonably healthy when felled – rather than badly affected - will that help?  I can take some photos when I'm back home showing the tops of the stumps; some of which look like they may not have been affected at all :(  

Any advice most welcomed

Many thanks 

Ash is brilliant for firewood but as a timber for  external projects its just not suitable.

Thanks for all the great and helpful replies.

So by the sounds of it it will all end up in the wood stoves then. I do have a few outdoor projects in mind. Not least of all wood shelters to house the firewood! So I wanted to check whether ash was suitable before sawing up the straight useable pieces. As it's not, so be it... I can get other wood for that. In fact, I have a larch to come down and by all accounts larch and cedar (which I'd have to buy) are good choices. I've also been told that sweet chestnut is good too.  Perhaps I'll try and plant some for the future - for the wood and the nuts...

For long term storage of firewood (ash), is it better to keep the ash in the round and in long lengths? I was planning to process 2-3 years worth, and keep the rest in a forestry commission type set up. Well, not quite on that scale :) But in pieces of around 4 foot length and stacked and covered. I thought this might slow the seasoning down for when the time came 5-10 years down the line. I'll also be storing it 200 odd metres from the house, so keeping it in larger pieces will make transporting it up to the house easier when the time comes. Any downsides to keep it in 4 foot rounds for several years? And if under cover and ventilated - should that stop it deteriorating too badly?

Cheers

5 minutes ago, carbs for arbs said:

Thanks for all the great and helpful replies.

So by the sounds of it it will all end up in the wood stoves then. I do have a few outdoor projects in mind. Not least of all wood shelters to house the firewood! So I wanted to check whether ash was suitable before sawing up the straight useable pieces. As it's not, so be it... I can get other wood for that. In fact, I have a larch to come down and by all accounts larch and cedar (which I'd have to buy) are good choices. I've also been told that sweet chestnut is good too.  Perhaps I'll try and plant some for the future - for the wood and the nuts...

For long term storage of firewood (ash), is it better to keep the ash in the round and in long lengths? I was planning to process 2-3 years worth, and keep the rest in a forestry commission type set up. Well, not quite on that scale :) But in pieces of around 4 foot length and stacked and covered. I thought this might slow the seasoning down for when the time came 5-10 years down the line. I'll also be storing it 200 odd metres from the house, so keeping it in larger pieces will make transporting it up to the house easier when the time comes. Any downsides to keep it in 4 foot rounds for several years? And if under cover and ventilated - should that stop it deteriorating too badly?

Cheers

It will keep for a years but i would try and keep it dry if possible or the rain will rot it over time.

I'd cut an split all the ash into the firewood size that you use, it’s easy when green, it just pops as it splits. It’s no fun splitting any seasoned wood and ash is hard as oak IMO when dry.

I know longer logs will take longer to season, it just  extends the time for you to easily split it.

as said before, cover it to keep it dry. 

• Like 2