Having The Dogs Balls Removed

Witterings

It can have its place but in my experience people have the expectation that it's a silver bullet, a cure to all their issues, and are surprised that surgery hasn't resulted in the perfect dog.

2 hours ago, Big J said:

I can take my dog absolutely anywhere. She follows me and the forwarder round all day, she meets loads of other people and other dogs whilst doing that. I can walk her (to heel, without a lead) through a flock of sheep, through a busy town centre, take her on a canoe, swim across a lake with her or put her in a car for an 8 hour journey.

This is how I feel life with dogs should be, and it is possible without an operation 

• Like 1

I guess all the responses have pretty much confirmed what I actually thought ... it's just the idea of doing it that I find quite disturbing.

Big J ... that's the level of behaviour we're aiming to get him to, overall he's actually extremely good for a 9 month  old Lab so certainly heading in the right direction ... we learnt an awful lot about training by volunteering to help Canine Partners for nearly 4 years which helped us massively.

He's actually my daughters 21st B'day pressie, we're looking after him whilst she finishes her OT degree, she then wants to train him as a therapy dog to help her with her work.

Cheers for everybody's input has put my mind at rest and he's booked in for the 21st of this month.

My ex had mine done as soon as he started bolting on the scent of an in heat bitch, I can honestly say it transformed him over night and he never left my side since but I do think he was done to young as his joints are suffering now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete Mctree said:

We nearly spayed our youngest dog due to prostate issues and as a result did loads of research. We discovered that there is growing evidence that the early spaying of pets impedes both there physical and mental development. The hormones are required for physical maturation- growth plate formation in joints is impeded as can bone growth. I seem to remember hip displasia becomes more common too. Mentally they can develop many issues, especially fear/confidence related. I would have a good google if I were you. 
I am not against spaying, however I think that the vets are out of step with current evidence - remember sick pets are there business. I would get some solid advice when to spay him - people seem to think past 18 months is a good time when physical maturity is reached.

Agree completely, wait till mature probably over 2yrs before neutering. Vet advice is slowly changing this way.

18 hours ago, peds said:

Only responsible thing to do these days, unless you can reasonably claim (between you and the dog) to be able to produce a healthy litter of pups with decent homes arranged to go to before they are even born. 

Male owners' attachment to their dogs' testicles can sometimes be borderline fetishistic. Unless you are willing to wrap his wee hotdog up in a little condom every time he runs around a corner, the right thing to do is to cut them off.

My dog was the only survivor of a litter culled as a result of overpopulation and careless owners not getting their dogs the snip. His mother's keeper threw the rest into the river.

Why the dog? If you don't want puppies get the bitch spayed

11 hours ago, Big J said:

God, that must have been awful. And hilarious 😄

For me it all comes down to quality of life for the dog and for the owner. Anything you can do to improve this is worth doing. I'd say at least 80% of dogs I come across in day to day life look like a lot of work to live with. Crappy recall, don't do what they're told, have to be on leads, barky, humpy etc. If you can mitigate any of those irks, everyone is in for an easier life. That's where neutering comes in - you can't expect a sex crazed mutt to have good recall if it's hot on the scent of another dog/sofa/leg.

Most properly trained dogs are not a problem whether neutered or not it's just that most people either don't know how or don't want to spend the time to do it properly!

• Like 3