First bandsaw, what would you recommend?

haforbes

Good choice for an entry mill and will cope with the larger logs if you trim them up. Did you pay vat or did chris chat to you about the options available regarding that. 

I did pay vat but I’m vat registered so not sure if it’ll make any difference?? Cheers

1 hour ago, haforbes said:

Sorry I didn’t see this. Tree size is generally from 50cm up to 120cm, will still have to fire up the Alaskan for the larger stuff but that’s no problem. Currently I just mill my own timber and occasionally buy in bits from some local mates who sell firewood...if I can convince them not to chop them up for logs. I’d be looking at buying in small amounts of softwood to keep the mill fed at first. Possibly oak for framing but need some more education before that point!

I spoke to Chris at woodland mills today and he was helpful and honest about the quality of the competition. So I bit the bullet and went for the 130max. It’s a fair price jump up to the others and for my needs I couldn’t justify it, I figure if it goes well I can look at moving on to a better setup in the future.

Cheers for all the helpemoji1303.png. Will report back when I’ve got the mill set up and cutting, I think there’s quite a backlog of orders, apparently demand in the US and Canada has gone up 300%!

Hi, off the back of this thread I had a good look at the 130 max with a view to a future purchase and it looks like a well engineered solid bit of kit.... my only experience of band mills is with an old Norwood and the 130 looks head n shoulders above that, hope you don't have to wait too long, cheers.

Hi, off the back of this thread I had a good look at the 130 max with a view to a future purchase and it looks like a well engineered solid bit of kit.... my only experience of band mills is with an old Norwood and the 130 looks head n shoulders above that, hope you don't have to wait too long, cheers.

I think all manufacturers have moved on in quality and design.

Only time will really say if one is better than another.

The fact there is still many old Norwoods and Woodmizers earning their keep is a testament to even their older build quality.

Just now, trigger_andy said:

I think all manufacturers have moved on in quality and design.

Only time will really say if one is better than another.

The fact there is still many old Norwoods and Woodmizers earning their keep is a testament to even their older build quality.

Totally agree, the Norwood I've used is old but will probably be cutting logs many years from now... that Norwood you posted looks very much up there and the, Woodland range look real solid although I have to say your Logosol looks shit hot... I'm only fishing atm as I'll not be buying until I can get it under cover.. feckin sick of stuff rusting 😟

Just now, Macpherson said:

Totally agree, the Norwood I've used is old but will probably be cutting logs many years from now... that Norwood you posted looks very much up there and the, Woodland range look real solid although I have to say your Logosol looks shit hot... I'm only fishing atm as I'll not be buying until I can get it under cover.. feckin sick of stuff rusting 😟

My Logosol has never been kept under cover. It’s outside 24/7 and has been for 28 months of ownership. The only rust on it is on the split weld on the band cover that was replaced without question. I’ve just had no reason to replace it as it still works well. 

I forgot that I had an issue with the Briggs engine. The Oil level sensor caused intermittent issues for weeks. Johnsond sorted me out on that. Just unplug the wire. 

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

My Logosol has never been kept under cover. It’s outside 24/7 and has been for 28 months of ownership. The only rust on it is on the split weld on the band cover that was replaced without question. I’ve just had no reason to replace it as it still works well. 

I forgot that I had an issue with the Briggs engine. The Oil level sensor caused intermittent issues for weeks. Johnsond sorted me out on that. Just unplug the wire. 

Yeah the Logosol range look top quality, possibly the best at that level of the market and I've already looked at them but whatever I eventually get I will have it covered in some way even if only a roof, cheers.

• Like 1

Hi I have the Woodland Mills HM130 MAX and after a few teething problems and I expect everyone gets them I totally like it 30inch wide cut it does take some getting used to coming from an Alaskan like you its day and night so much quicker less faffing around the only thing if woodland mills did upgrades like Norwood do so you could get the basic mill then make some cash buy the trailer, that they do but then hydraulic log lifter, turner, toe boards etc as I am totally happy with my new mill but would like to add to it and I don't have time or welding skills to build it myself, but that's the only down thing I can say

7 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi I have the Woodland Mills HM130 MAX and after a few teething problems and I expect everyone gets them I totally like it 30inch wide cut it does take some getting used to coming from an Alaskan like you its day and night so much quicker less faffing around the only thing if woodland mills did upgrades like Norwood do so you could get the basic mill then make some cash buy the trailer, that they do but then hydraulic log lifter, turner, toe boards etc as I am totally happy with my new mill but would like to add to it and I don't have time or welding skills to build it myself, but that's the only down thing I can say

You must remember the woodland mills are aimed at entry level users and to upgrade extra features would put it in a different bracket price wise. Their selling model is proven world wide so i see no change in their approach any time soon. 

Edited by topchippyles