First bandsaw, what would you recommend?

haforbes

I’d take the 3 phase option all day if I had it and was going the static route. I’ve ran a 130 set up for mobile use  for a while and it’s been a great  bit of kit. Mates just ordered a 130 max that’s gonna be set up in the static mode so the opportunity for comparison should be interesting. I’ve seen Andy’s Logosol and he’s right in saying it’s a well thought out and engineered bit of kit. 

Would you say it’s worth the additional cost for the Logosol?

Unless I’m not looking properly the 130max doesn’t have an electric motor option which is a shame

30 minutes ago, haforbes said:

Unless I’m not looking properly the 130max doesn’t have an electric motor option which is a shame

I’m not sure what options are available engine wise on the 130 max  but I’m sure Chris at woodlands would keep you right. Regards is the extra cost worth it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️, I guess it’s how much you want to spend really, 5 ish buys the 130 max, not sure what the  logosol goes out at but as with all things you can just keep going up and up in price etc. I’d say if you can load yourself and use said machine to assist with handling whilst on the mill, combine that with securing it to a good solid base you’d not go far wrong with the 130 max. A decent bit of engineering nouse and you could easily make some worthwhile mods to make like easier, good mate of mine has ordered the same mill and has spent time on my 130 he has a list of mods that he is gonna attempt once it’s all set up but he does have the advantage of a very well equipped workshop. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, haforbes said:

I'm pretty sure there is an electric option. You can normally select it from a drop-down menu on the website.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, haforbes said:

You have not said what sort of budget you have and that will give us millers a guide to help.The 130 max has a 14hp kohler which is a fantastic engine and used in loads of different industries.

1 minute ago, gdh said:

I'm pretty sure there is an electric option. You can normally select it from a drop-down menu on the website.

There is an option for electric.If noise is not a problem then i would go gas/petrol. I have 3 phase but the sell on value drops a mile between the two.

Edited by topchippyles

3 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

You have not said what sort of budget you have and that will give us millers a guide to help.The 130 max has a 14hp kohler which is a fantastic engine and used in loads of different industries.

He's mentioned the Mills he's interested in and considering, coupled with the fact he's looking for an entry level model but is also considering getting the 130max surely that answers your question? 

What budget you have really dictates what mill you can got for. What size trees do you normally cut or will you be buying stuff in as required. I have used a few different versions and the woodland mills seem to be the most popular entry level in the uk. Chris pearce is their main guy in the uk and he is most helpful and if your able to travel up to pontypool chris has one setup and will let you have a try and show you around it. Triggers mill is a step up in quality but price reflects that.Lumag seem to popping up on various websites and i notice machine mart are stocking them and price is on par with woodland.

Sorry I didn’t see this. Tree size is generally from 50cm up to 120cm, will still have to fire up the Alaskan for the larger stuff but that’s no problem. Currently I just mill my own timber and occasionally buy in bits from some local mates who sell firewood...if I can convince them not to chop them up for logs. I’d be looking at buying in small amounts of softwood to keep the mill fed at first. Possibly oak for framing but need some more education before that point!

I spoke to Chris at woodland mills today and he was helpful and honest about the quality of the competition. So I bit the bullet and went for the 130max. It’s a fair price jump up to the others and for my needs I couldn’t justify it, I figure if it goes well I can look at moving on to a better setup in the future.

Cheers for all the help[emoji1303]. Will report back when I’ve got the mill set up and cutting, I think there’s quite a backlog of orders, apparently demand in the US and Canada has gone up 300%!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, haforbes said:

Sorry I didn’t see this. Tree size is generally from 50cm up to 120cm, will still have to fire up the Alaskan for the larger stuff but that’s no problem. Currently I just mill my own timber and occasionally buy in bits from some local mates who sell firewood...if I can convince them not to chop them up for logs. I’d be looking at buying in small amounts of softwood to keep the mill fed at first. Possibly oak for framing but need some more education before that point!

I spoke to Chris at woodland mills today and he was helpful and honest about the quality of the competition. So I bit the bullet and went for the 130max. It’s a fair price jump up to the others and for my needs I couldn’t justify it, I figure if it goes well I can look at moving on to a better setup in the future.

Cheers for all the helpemoji1303.png. Will report back when I’ve got the mill set up and cutting, I think there’s quite a backlog of orders, apparently demand in the US and Canada has gone up 300%!

Good choice for an entry mill and will cope with the larger logs if you trim them up. Did you pay vat or did chris chat to you about the options available regarding that.