First bandsaw, what would you recommend?

haforbes

I’m slowly convincing myself to move to a bandsaw and give my Alaskan a rest. Just curious what anyone would recommend for an entry level bandsaw mill? So far looking at woodland mills hm130max, Logosol b751, woodmizer lt15 and trakmet tt600. But to be honest I don’t know anything about any of them other than the price difference! I’ve got loading equipment which is a bonus so just the basic models needed. If all goes to plan would be milling mostly larch, douglas and a bit of cedar. Occasional bits of beech, ash and oak. Any advice is appreciated [emoji1303]

I really like my B751 and as its the only Bandsaw Ive used its all I can really comment on.

Ive found it very well built, second to none back-up from Logosol and some clever engeneering features you might not see on other entry level bandsaws. Ive put it through some abuse these last two years of ownership and only now does it need some bearings replaced in the carriage. 

The Band Cover had a weld that started to crack  and a full replacement was sent direct from Sweden, no questions asked. Oh,one  Band Guide bearing went after one year, I was sent two whole units, ones still in its box.

Ive had some big logs on the Mill. The Biggest was an Oak just under 32" diameter and just over 4m long. Needed trimming down with a chainsaw to get the Carriage to pass. Can cut 24" Wide Slabs. Ive not had to adjust anything in almost the whole ownership. I had some teething problems with a wavey cut but it turns out it was the Bacho Bands and when I switched over to Rippers problem solved. 

If you buy a Logosol pay the bit extra and get the B751 Pro, there is just so much more extras available than for the standard B751, but they can be modified to work. 

Turning a 4m x 32" Oak on your own is near impossible, but the Pro has a clever Log turner that doubles up as a winch to get the logs up the ramp. Very useful. I bought one and modified it to fit my B751. The Pro also has the option of roller log rests. 

Its amazing what you'll try and get on your mill so getting the biggest capacity might be the way forward though? I think if the 130max was available when I bought the B751 Id most likely have gone for that, but Im glad it was not as I love my Logosol and its build quality. 

If I ever upgrade I can see me getting the B1001.

Oh, and hang onto your Alaskan. [emoji3] I made the mistake of getting rid of mine as I spend all my time on the Bandsaw but its a very handy tool to keep around. I just bought a 60" Panther set up from RobD. [emoji3] 

IMG_1860.jpgIMG_1858.jpgIMG_1752.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Andy! Glad you’re getting on well the Logosol, on the specs it does did look like a good option. The only thing putting off the woodland mill is that it comes with 3.1m cutting length, I would guess most people buy the extension. Would be good to hear from any else with experience of the other manufacturers, difficult to find anyone who’s used more than one brand.

Don’t worry I’ll be hanging on the my Alaskan [emoji6], I haven’t got deep enough pockets for a bandsaw mill that big! Thanks

3 hours ago, haforbes said:

Thanks for the reply Andy! Glad you’re getting on well the Logosol, on the specs it does did look like a good option. The only thing putting off the woodland mill is that it comes with 3.1m cutting length, I would guess most people buy the extension. Would be good to hear from any else with experience of the other manufacturers, difficult to find anyone who’s used more than one brand.

Don’t worry I’ll be hanging on the my Alaskan emoji6.png, I haven’t got deep enough pockets for a bandsaw mill that big! Thanks

What budget you have really dictates what mill you can got for. What size trees do you normally cut or will you be buying stuff in as required. I have used a few different versions and the woodland mills seem to be the most popular entry level in the uk. Chris pearce is their main guy in the uk and he is most helpful and if your able to travel up to pontypool chris has one setup and will let you have a try and show you around it. Triggers mill is a step up in quality but price reflects that.Lumag seem to popping up on various websites and i notice machine mart are stocking them and price is on par with woodland.

Edited by topchippyles

5 hours ago, haforbes said:

I’m slowly convincing myself to move to a bandsaw and give my Alaskan a rest. Just curious what anyone would recommend for an entry level bandsaw mill? So far looking at woodland mills hm130max, Logosol b751, woodmizer lt15 and trakmet tt600. But to be honest I don’t know anything about any of them other than the price difference! I’ve got loading equipment which is a bonus so just the basic models needed. If all goes to plan would be milling mostly larch, douglas and a bit of cedar. Occasional bits of beech, ash and oak. Any advice is appreciated emoji1303.png

Would you be going got a static or mobile, 3 phase or petrol ? 

I have an lt15 which, while it has served me well has also been frustrating. It needs regular readjusting to keep it cutting square and isnt as well built as it appears at first glance.

In my experience woodmizer backup leaves a lot to be desired. I had an issue with the electric control for the height adjustment. Theres no woodmizer dealer in Ireland at the moment (that I'm aware of, maybe this has changed recently) woodmizer uk were poor to deal with, woodmizer Poland were fairly crap too, eventually got the part from an electrical goods supplier in Texas of all places.

A friend has a logosol in the same price range which is a far superior machine in my honest opinion. 

Blade choice makes a hell of a difference.

Woodmizer own blades are not as good as ripper 37s or bahco, even an unbranded pack I bought cheap online were no worse. 

If I was buying again I'd go for logosol or trakmet, maybe step up to one of the american brands if I wanted to cut wider, although the alaskan is there for big stuff.

42 minutes ago, haforbes said:

Forgot to mention that. I’ve got the option of 3phase, not sure if there’s any advantage other than running costs? And most likely static

I’d take the 3 phase option all day if I had it and was going the static route. I’ve ran a 130 set up for mobile use  for a while and it’s been a great  bit of kit. Mates just ordered a 130 max that’s gonna be set up in the static mode so the opportunity for comparison should be interesting. I’ve seen Andy’s Logosol and he’s right in saying it’s a well thought out and engineered bit of kit. 

• Like 1