Advice on Small Business Machinery

Dominic Bailey

On 07/04/2021 at 00:07, spuddog0507 said:

Never used one of them so cant and would not comment on something i have never used, i have looked at them and for use who are mainly in forestry the fixed grab works well for us we did consider one like yours but we felt it would not stand up to the abuse we would give it, the one,s  we have came from a company on the Wirrell and i have only ever broke one tine off it, eh ripping limestone out, and before you say it yes i know its not made for doing that but sure beats other methods, lad in the yard next to me has just fitted fixed grabs to 2 8 tonne machines and i am yet to have a play on one, the OP just said timber grab and most just go and buy a chinese chocolate one, and some of us have been there and done that,

ahhh i see you meant over a hanging grab. yes that would be true but the fixed rotating grabs are in a different league. the intermacto grabs are built like a brick shit house, they use them for moving boulders about in Aus. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 00:01, topchippyles said:

You will get away using the rotating grapple on that size machine and anything bigger. Smaller ones tend to struggle 

Really😜

that will depend on the jobs you do would it not have you used them much on smaller diggers 😁

2 hours ago, Martin du Preez said:

really?? i'd personally take a fixed rotator over a fixed grab any day of the week, it makes all of those things you mentioned 10 times for efficient and easier. I've used both a fair bit and id definitely suggest trying a fixed rotator grab. The fixed none rotating grabs is like having a cast on your arm, why wouldn't you want another dimension of movement? 

Dont know what your trying to tell me here ? 10 times more efficient and easier ? i tend to differ on that one and i find what you say very hard to believe  but as i stated in above post, the fixed grab does every thing we need to do with it, so it ticks all the boxes for us in what we do and it does get some abuse, but let me just point something out, it is OK having all the toys to make the job easier but no one has mentioned operator skill !! this is a massive part of owning machinery as if you cant operate it why have it, we have had lads working with us and they think they can drive a machine but can they ? One we have now n then lad put him on tractor and forwarding trailer and he will make the biggest mess possible and that dont impress me at all as its all to tidy up,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Dont know what your trying to tell me here ? 10 times more efficient and easier ? i tend to differ on that one and i find what you say very hard to believe  but as i stated in above post, the fixed grab does every thing we need to do with it, so it ticks all the boxes for us in what we do and it does get some abuse, but let me just point something out, it is OK having all the toys to make the job easier but no one has mentioned operator skill !! this is a massive part of owning machinery as if you cant operate it why have it, we have had lads working with us and they think they can drive a machine but can they ? One we have now n then lad put him on tractor and forwarding trailer and he will make the biggest mess possible and that dont impress me at all as its all to tidy up,

If they can’t drive a rotator and grab then they won’t be much use with a grapple either. 

I dunno about ten times easier. Maybe five times. 😂 I run both and both have their merits, but for handling timber and brash the axial rated rotator grab is much better. 

i used to think like you (in truth I didn’t want to spend on a rotator) but I’d never go back. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, doobin said:

If they can’t drive a rotator and grab then they won’t be much use with a grapple either. 

I dunno about ten times easier. Maybe five times. 😂 I run both and both have their merits, but for handling timber and brash the axial rated rotator grab is much better. 

i used to think like you (in truth I didn’t want to spend on a rotator) but I’d never go back. 

Its to late for me to be buying more items these days,  machines, i need to be getting rid of a few not getting more, The fixed grabs have all ways been ok for us and what we use them for, i would not like to say how the rotator would stand up to being hammered against tree stumps when shoving brash in to windrows, ?,  

1 hour ago, spuddog0507 said:

Its to late for me to be buying more items these days,  machines, i need to be getting rid of a few not getting more, The fixed grabs have all ways been ok for us and what we use them for, i would not like to say how the rotator would stand up to being hammered against tree stumps when shoving brash in to windrows, ?,  

I’ve been amazed at the punishment my tiger grip has taken. 

You must be near retirement then.... Buy exponentially more machines as you get older and your body gets more ****************ed, then sell them all for cash come retirement!

8 hours ago, doobin said:

I’ve been amazed at the punishment my tiger grip has taken. 

You must be near retirement then.... Buy exponentially more machines as you get older and your body gets more ****************ed, then sell them all for cash come retirement!

That is a plan, in fact that is the plan.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2021 at 23:56, spuddog0507 said:

I guess its all completely dependent on what you main usage is for. For us with Arb i couldn't be without, loading vans with arb bodies, threading arisings through tight spaces, skidding timber, cut and holding etc