Anyone interested in removing this oak?

LK12

3 hours ago, Steven P said:

Just a complete offshoot for the pricing here... took the car for a few jobs, service, MOT and so on, 1 mechanic and a bill of about £600 including parts. I reckon the job took half a day at the most. So multiply that by 2 for a full days work, and by 3 for 3 guys working on a job, less few of hundred for parts, 300 x 2 x 3, or about £2000, 3 workers for a full day, in a dry garage, all kit to hand, no heavy lifting. Have to cover all the overheads with that and we are all happy to pay that sort of rate,

Myself, in my nice warm office, the company charges about £60 an hour for my time, including all overheads, about £1350 a day for 3 people to do my job, but no expensive kit

£2k for a team of 3 to take out a tree that might take a day and based on a photo - stump grinding, clear the site and so on, doesn't sound so bad.

Now this post... just cost my company about £15 for my time to write it.

Was wondering when that penny was going to drop on here with some folks. My bid would have been 600squids as am not far but wouldnt touch grinding that stump and my mate wouldnt thank me for asking him to grind it neither. K

• Like 1

I think part of the problem here is that you guys from other parts of the country see that the job is in London and assume that we are all made of money and jobs should cost much more.

two of the arborists that have visited in person and said it is a job that can be done in a day or less and they have priced it accordingly, it's easy to throw about these 2k figures online but I highly doubt you could look a customer in the face and tell them you are charging them 2k for one days work and if you do then I'd align you with the roofer types that go around scamming pensioners.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, LK12 said:

I think part of the problem here is that you guys from other parts of the country see that the job is in London and assume that we are all made of money and jobs should cost much more.

two of the arborists that have visited in person and said it is a job that can be done in a day or less and they have priced it accordingly, it's easy to throw about these 2k figures online but I highly doubt you could look a customer in the face and tell them you are charging them 2k for one days work and if you do then I'd align you with the roofer types that go around scamming pensioners.

This simply isn't correct, I live in Suffolk and do some work in London. To get into London at a decent time I leave here around 04:30, days work then get caught in traffic on my way out, an hour and half to get in and 2-3 hours getting back home, someone has to pay for that and it ain't going to be me. A £1k job here would be at LEAST £1500 in London, that's before parking and everything else is factored in. If you think that is scamming people so be it.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, LK12 said:

So reading through this thread it sounds like the general opinion on the price of this job is around the 2k mark,so what you are basically saying is that most on here are "pensioner scammers" then like "roofer types"as you refer to,jees your gonna make yourself popular on here then

• Like 1

I think the general opinion of people on here who haven’t seen the job doesn’t matter a toss.

Just take one of the prices you’ve been offered by people who have.

Check details of qualifications and insurance (especially for the grind) first, obviously.

Eggs has a point, London prices are steeper for a lot of the reasons he mentioned.

£2k a day seems steep for a small crew anywhere though.

Re the extension, don’t bullshit the structural engineer by pretending the tree was never there, though.

That could end up being a massive false economy.

Good luck with the job, follow up pics would be good so we can have further arguments.

Don’t keep fishing for hundreds of prices once you’ve had a few from decent companies though, life is too short.

• Like 1

£200/hr for a skilled team (of at least 2, but quite possibly 3) to come to your house as a one-time one-off job with a couple of vehicles, a chipper, a stump grinder and a van-full of climbing kit/saws/blowers etc, taking all of the arisings away with them seems expensive? In London? Really?!...

• Like 2