Anyone interested in removing this oak?

LK12

20 minutes ago, LK12 said:

I have one quote for £1250 + vat so far and some lower ones elseware

In the interests of me gaining some knowledge from this thread as its not often you get a responsive customer on here I have a question.

Price aside, what did you like about certain quotes and what didn't you like? Such as quote 2 turned up on time or quote 3 had a clean van, well spoken etc

Thanks 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

How much is a wet in there kev ? fiver a pint or more.

It was ‘back in the day’ Les. 

Mid-late 90s. 

Think it’s moved venue now. 

You didn’t pay for your beers, you bought a fist full of tickets at the door and exchanged them for a 4 pack each visit to the bar. 

It started at 12:00 on a Sunday with pallet loads of tinnies behind the bar, you paid your money, you got your tickets, you swapped your tickets for a 4 pack in a plastic bag full of ice. You drank your beer, you watched the show, you put your empties on the floor and by 15:00 everyone was knee deep in crushed tins and pissed as a fart!

The stage show was awesome, the crowd was awesome and it was a turbo charge for a Sunday sesh!

Quick google search - looks like it’s all over 😫

I.STUFF.CO.NZ

Notorious London party bar, frequented by Kiwis, is closing down.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It was ‘back in the day’ Les. 

Mid-late 90s. 

Think it’s moved venue now. 

You didn’t pay for your beers, you bought a fist full of tickets at the door and exchanged them for a 4 pack each visit to the bar. 

It started at 12:00 on a Sunday with pallet loads of tinnies behind the bar, you paid your money, you got your tickets, you swapped your tickets for a 4 pack in a plastic bag full of ice. You drank your beer, you watched the show, you put your empties on the floor and by 15:00 everyone was knee deep in crushed tins and pissed as a fart!

The stage show was awesome, the crowd was awesome and it was a turbo charge for a Sunday sesh!

Quick google search - looks like it’s all over 😫

I.STUFF.CO.NZ

Notorious London party bar, frequented by Kiwis, is closing down.

Cool looks a real buzz 🤙Is eggs the cliff richard look a like in the front row with the union jack flag on ?

I have one quote for £1250 + vat so far and some lower ones elseware

So basically you’re in the ball park, and by asking here, which is a reasonable idea, you’re getting the inside track on rates and how everyone goes about pricing jobs. We’re all running businesses so our aim is to get the best return on our time and investment, which isn’t cheap. For example, I work with one other bloke, for bigger jobs we get subs in, for yours I’d want three of us. Some guys might do it as a pair, some might have 4, and that’s up to them, there’s no standard that everyone does, it’s their call and that’s gonna be reflected in the prices we’ve all got bags of kit which is expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. We’ve gotta keep all that somewhere, I for example live in a regular sized semi detached, so I need to rent a yard to keep it. Because it’s expensive gear it’s attractive to the light fingered, so I pay more for a yard with cctv locked gates and people on site at night. That’s another cost. It all needs fuel, the tickets cost money, we spend our free time out quoting jobs many of which you won’t get, odd days where you’ve gotta service your saws, have a proper sharpen up on a bench, none of that’s getting paid for, expensive ppe. hell even my trousers cost £250. Turnover is a completely irrelevant barometer of the health of a business. If someone says they’ll do it for ten grand then they’re taking the proverbial, if someone says 500 quid, they’re probably gonna fell it onto the neighbours conservatory, but £1500 to £3000 isn’t unreasonable and it’s up to you to know what you can afford and choose who you think is gonna do the best job of it for that money. And bear in mind the reality of it is that none of us are interested in a race to the bottom because there’s plenty of well paid work out there if you do a decent job of it.
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Kent Arboreal said:

So basically you’re in the ball park, and by asking here, which is a reasonable idea, you’re getting the inside track on rates and how everyone goes about pricing jobs. We’re all running businesses so our aim is to get the best return on our time and investment, which isn’t cheap. For example, I work with one other bloke, for bigger jobs we get subs in, for yours I’d want three of us. Some guys might do it as a pair, some might have 4, and that’s up to them, there’s no standard that everyone does, it’s their call and that’s gonna be reflected in the prices we’ve all got bags of kit which is expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. We’ve gotta keep all that somewhere, I for example live in a regular sized semi detached, so I need to rent a yard to keep it. Because it’s expensive gear it’s attractive to the light fingered, so I pay more for a yard with cctv locked gates and people on site at night. That’s another cost. It all needs fuel, the tickets cost money, we spend our free time out quoting jobs many of which you won’t get, odd days where you’ve gotta service your saws, have a proper sharpen up on a bench, none of that’s getting paid for, expensive ppe. hell even my trousers cost £250. Turnover is a completely irrelevant barometer of the health of a business. If someone says they’ll do it for ten grand then they’re taking the proverbial, if someone says 500 quid, they’re probably gonna fell it onto the neighbours conservatory, but £1500 to £3000 isn’t unreasonable and it’s up to you to know what you can afford and choose who you think is gonna do the best job of it for that money. And bear in mind the reality of it is that none of us are interested in a race to the bottom because there’s plenty of well paid work out there if you do a decent job of it.

I had originally come here to try and identify which oak tree it was, only in the last few days it was decided it was going to be cut down.

In any industry it should be fine to question a quote you get. I don't see questioning why something costs £2000 for one days work is such a surprise to anyone.

I had originally come here to try and identify which oak tree it was, only in the last few days it was decided it was going to be cut down.

In any industry it should be fine to question a quote you get. I don't see questioning why something costs £2000 for one days work is such a surprise to anyone.

It doesn’t come as a surprise to anyone, and you’ve had a pretty comprehensive list of answers as to why it might cost that now. But anyway, that’s just my ten pence worth, it ain’t like I’m gonna be felling it, it’s miles away. [emoji23]
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LK12 said:

Spend a day carrying log rounds down alleyways and onto trucks and shovelling bins of sawdust out of gardens in summer and you'll soon see why 2k is being requested.

Even better, offer to help when they do the work and you'll take £100 quid off the price and you can find out

• Like 3

Most of us have 100s of ks worth of equipment , constant training of staff for the latest BS legislations , loler and maintenance of the equipment to keep it legal , insurance of equipment, public liability and more insurances road taxes ,permits etc ... working 7 days a week on site to late at night on paper work ..it’s a fair difference from a plumber turning up with a bag of tools and cracking on...
if your lucky you can find a subby who’s hungry to feed his crack habit and will do it for £150 because he’s desperate for work and gives no shits of running the industry further in to the ground though, good luck 🤞🏻