Anyone interested in removing this oak?

LK12

it was theoretical and only assuming that the company is doing 4 of these trees a week, which they can do many more

anyway I'm not here to break down anyones business. I was just clearly stating that 2k seemed a bit excessive, which is my opinion and I am entitled to that

How do you know that a team can do more than 4 of these jobs a week? What are you basing that on?

You’re certainly entitled to have an uneducated opinion. :)

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

How do you know that a team can do more than 4 of these jobs a week? What are you basing that on?

You’re certainly entitled to have an uneducated opinion. :)

I'm happy to be uneducated if it means I don't pay double the price for things

Price is dictated by supply of quality tree surgeons and the demand for it. 

In greater London right now, there's more work than there are GOOD tree surgeons who run a clean and efficient business. 

So many clients out there that are happy to pay that price for a well spoken, well reviewed company. The ability to sell and make yourself stand out compared to the competition is equally important as the quality of work you deliver.

Quite how long this supply/demand balance will last for I'm not sure. Maybe until the job losses kick in. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, LK12 said:

I'm happy to be uneducated if it means I don't pay double the price for things

Are you happy to not have what ever building project it is you appear to want the tree removed for on the basis that you think you know what the job should cost?

Thats called opportunity cost. 

If you get balls out Bert to do your critical path task for a bag of chips and some firewood, good luck to you. 

If you need the tree sorted (properly) before your project progresses you might start to realise the VALUE rather than the cost of the task. 

Good luck 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LK12 said:

while being an arborist is a very respectable job and deserves to be paid well for the high level of skill, risk and knowledge it takes.

If you done 4 of these trees a week at 2k you would be turning over 400k a year. 

I'm getting more irritated than it is probably healthy for something that I shouldn't care less about....

However,

The part highlighted in red above is akin to starting a sentence with "...With respect..."  It actually indicates that precisely the opposite of what is being proposed is the real feeling / thought behind whatever follows.

So apart from telling everyone that has taken the time to comment that you know better, you now appear to be presenting business management forecasts.

Nice one!

I'll doff me cap in deference.

Just to revisit your math though....

The working week is usually between 35 and 40 hours (apparently?  Not mine though)

There are 8 bank holiday days in England and Wales.

Leave is likely to be 4 to 8 weeks (plus bank holidays)

At the lower boundary you are looking at 42 weeks of 35 hours = 1470 hours

At the upper boundary 47 weeks of 40 hours = 1880 hours.

4 x 2000 x 42 = 336,000

4 x 2000 x 47 = 376000

That puts you 6 - 16% out on your (already infeasible, naive and bizarre) rationale.  

What are you doing after your build project?  Gov of the Bank of England??

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I'm getting more irritated than it is probably healthy for something that I shouldn't care less about....

However,

The part highlighted in red above is akin to starting a sentence with "...With respect..."  It actually indicates that precisely the opposite of what is being proposed is the real feeling / thought behind whatever follows.

So apart from telling everyone that has taken the time to comment that you know better, you now appear to be presenting business management forecasts.

Nice one!

I'll doff me cap in deference.

Just to revisit your math though....

The working week is usually between 35 and 40 hours (apparently?  Not mine though)

There are 8 bank holiday days in England and Wales.

Leave is likely to be 4 to 8 weeks (plus bank holidays)

At the lower boundary you are looking at 42 weeks of 35 hours = 1470 hours

At the upper boundary 47 weeks of 40 hours = 1880 hours.

4 x 2000 x 42 = 336,000

4 x 2000 x 47 = 376000

That puts you 6 - 16% out on your (already infeasible, naive and bizarre) rationale.  

What are you doing after your build project?  Gov of the Bank of England??

35 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Are you happy to not have what ever building project it is you appear to want the tree removed for on the basis that you think you know what the job should cost?

Thats called opportunity cost. 

If you get balls out Bert to do your critical path task for a bag of chips and some firewood, good luck to you. 

If you need the tree sorted (properly) before your project progresses you might start to realise the VALUE rather than the cost of the task. 

Good luck 👍🏻

The best part of this is, they are building an extension on a house in London which ain't going to be cheap, it will also put a mass of value on the property. I like most others would try to get the best price for the job, but £2k (arguing over £500) in the grand scheme of things is amazing.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

The best part of this is, they are building an extension on a house in London which ain't going to be cheap, it will also put a mass of value on the property. I like most others would try to get the best price for the job, but £2k (arguing over £500) in the grand scheme of things is wnakish.

Agreed!

3 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

The best part of this is, they are building an extension on a house in London which ain't going to be cheap, it will also put a mass of value on the property. I like most others would try to get the best price for the job, but £2k (arguing over £500) in the grand scheme of things is amazing.

Just wondering when you would pop up and bingo 🤣 Now this thread will get interesting.We will have all the drainage laid in no time.

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1