Anyone interested in removing this oak?

LK12

19 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

Honestly this and having your chipper stolen in London is a genuine running cost I have to allow for.

The other difference between my £2k quote and the cheaper one is it allows us to pay our staff properly and give them the perks that they deserve (Gym, chiropractor, meals, full time contracts etc). The profit in the job is what covers you on days you can't work and so on. I think the disparity in quotes is some people are quoting to earn a living, other quoting to run a business.

You'll struggle to keep a good groundie alone for less than 25k a year in greater London.  

My mate who runs a firm in greater London and my brother (not a Tree Surgeon) when he was down there say they had so much work they could Cherry pick what they wanted to do. I told my mate about this job a couple of nights ago, he agreed it was a £2k job but as soon as mentioned there was some grumblings over that price he was not interested in hearing a word more. Simply not worth his crews time when he has so much other work out lined up. 

Ive repeatedly said the Op needs to get three local quotes to get a better idea of what the price is gonna be, and Im equally sure there will be some pikey who will come in and bash it out for peanuts, but pay peanuts and get monkeys. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

LEZ, congestion, parking issues, potential for theft from vehicle, care in the community, white privilege, demo's, police stop & search, random violence - all relevant elements of an urban job I should imagine.

Bit like Camborne perhaps 😂

Dont kid yrself, you missed lots out there 😉 K

Edited by Khriss
( crack whores n rats within 2m at all times...)
  • Haha 2

while being an arborist is a very respectable job and deserves to be paid well for the high level of skill, risk and knowledge it takes.

If you done 4 of these trees a week at 2k you would be turning over 400k a year. 

• Haha 2

I don’t hate pricing, on a sunny Saturday driving round the countryside I’m quite agreeable, especially if I get the first one or two then I’m on a roll.

I quite enjoy hearing other’s rationales and figures. Makes an interesting thread.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LK12 said:

while being an arborist is a very respectable job and deserves to be paid well for the high level of skill, risk and knowledge it takes.

If you done 4 of these trees a week at 2k you would be turning over 400k a year. 

Right.... 

I mean its more like 320k once you take the vat off and work 48 weeks of the year. 

Thats what people team of 4 should be aiming towards. 

Its only 26k a month, definitely not impossible. Should leave 13k profit a month. Healthy. 

• Like 1

There’s an old adage banded around here that I’m sure someone will post up.

You seem to think that’s £400k is one mans wage, it’s far from that. That theoretical figure does not take into account most crews are 2-3 men. Whilst not divided equally it certainly takes the wow factor off of £400k.

Then there’s the machineries outright cost and maintenance and all the fuel costs which can be substantial.

And when do you think they go around looking at potential jobs and quoting for them? This cuts into earning potential as does maintenance and down time for damage.

I’d not be surprised if a £400k turnover resulted in a wage under £60k for the owner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, trigger_andy said:

There’s an old adage banded around here that I’m sure someone will post up.

You seem to think that’s £400k is one mans wage, it’s far from that. That theoretical figure does not take into account most crews are 2-3 men. Whilst not divided equally it certainly takes the wow factor off of £400k.

Then there’s the machineries outright cost and maintenance and all the fuel costs which can be substantial.

And when do you think they go around looking at potential jobs and quoting for them? This cuts into earning potential as does maintenance and down time for damaged/maintenance.

I’d not be surprised if a £400k turnover resulted in a wage under £60k for the owner.

it was theoretical and only assuming that the company is doing 4 of these trees a week, which they can do many more

anyway I'm not here to break down anyones business. I was just clearly stating that 2k seemed a bit excessive, which is my opinion and I am entitled to that

• Like 2