oregon

chico

Just now, gary112 said:

Never used a Stihl chain,only ever owned a couple Stihl saws and used Oregon on them

Seems a bit odd to say you'll use nothing other than Oregon considering you've not tried what many consider one one the better chains on the market? 

I'm no better, I tend to just use Stihl and avoid Oregon because in my mind its an interior brand. But Id but Oregon if it had a good reputation. Ive seen more and more folk mention hard teeth on Oregon chain though. This must be the third thread in as many years about Oregon chains yet Ive not heard on about Stihl chains. (Im no Stihl Fanboi) I'll buy whatever gets the job done. 

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Seems a bit odd to say you'll use nothing other than Oregon considering you've not tried what many consider one one the better chains on the market? 

I'm no better, I tend to just use Stihl and avoid Oregon because in my mind its an interior brand. But Id but Oregon if it had a good reputation. Ive seen more and more folk mention hard teeth on Oregon chain though. This must be the third thread in as many years about Oregon chains yet Ive not heard on about Stihl chains. (Im no Stihl Fanboi) I'll buy whatever gets the job done. 

Had no reason to ever change from Oregon,always been happy with it and as i said never had hard teeth 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Had no reason to ever change from Oregon,always been happy with it and as i said never had hard teeth 

I'm pretty much the same . Have used Stihl when I can get them in .058 gauge for my Huskys . Found them to be slightly harder than Oregon but not so you can't file them . Have used Husqvarna branded chain and that is fine as well .  Carlton was a bit shit but can't remember why . Mostly Oregon though . I would have said that Oregon were a superior chain rather than an inferior or even as trigger A  says an interior chain 👍

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

yeh, with so many hardened teeth my dust extractor can handle all the sawdust I make. :D 

I have never had a problem with over hardened cutters on Oregon chain but you have I suppose . Think its the most widely used chain over in the PNW .

• Like 2

Just now, Stubby said:

I have never had a problem with over hardened cutters on Oregon chain but you have I suppose . Think its the most widely used chain over in the PNW .

Ive not used much Oregon. Ive just seen a bunch of threads mentioning them and hardened teeth.  Mostly after folk complaining about rotatek chains. 

With the price difference between Stihl and Oregon being pennies I dont see the need to risk it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Ive not used much Oregon. Ive just seen a bunch of threads mentioning them and hardened teeth.  Mostly after folk complaining about rotatek chains. 

With the price difference between Stihl and Oregon being pennies I dont see the need to risk it. 

I do think Stihl are slightly harder than Oregon but not as a fault but by design . For me ( when I was cutting ) it was a trade off for longevity of cutter ( the constant being clean wood ) and ease of sharpening . I would happily use both . Stihl was a top plate angle of nought ( level ) and Oregon down 10 degrees but hey ho all good .

• Like 1

Just now, Stubby said:

I do think Stihl are slightly harder than Oregon but not as a fault but by design . For me ( when I was cutting ) it was a trade off for longevity of cutter ( the constant being clean wood ) and ease of sharpening . I would happily use both . Stihl was a top plate angle of nought ( level ) and Oregon down 10 degrees but hey ho all good .

Slightly harder means slightly more longevity I guess? (as you mention) Not really noted the hardness being an issue when sharpening to be honest. You get a nice feeling when you know you've taken off the perfect sliver. The metallurgy feels just right, be that at tech school (flat and square) Off-shore when you've just pulled a trick outta the bag that saved the rig $250,000 or when a new file glides through a cutter and takes the perfect bite right away. 

Id happily use both as well. :) From the very few Oregon Chains Ive used Ive never had an issue other than feeling like Ive cheaped out and feeling a little dirty. :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

Id happily use both as well. :) From the very few Oregon Chains Ive used Ive never had an issue other than feeling like Ive cheaped out and feeling a little dirty. :D 

Oh , ok . I thought you must have had a dodgy Oregon chain .  The Stihl cutter will last longer ( slightly ) than the Oregon one but the file will last longer ( slightly if sharpening Oregon ) than if sharpening Stihl .  As I said 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other .