Felling Vertically Hung Tree?

Witterings

A step cut marked in yellow (with or with out the red gobs) will snap as there is no holding wood when pulled (as the fibres are cut twice with overlapping cuts so each end or trunk and stump are not connected) with the green rope at which point the tree is not attached to the stump and is now free range and trying to kill you and you have to guess where it will or won’t fall and which way to escape
AA0619B5-D0E2-47FC-BE3D-AB83A34B66A9.thumb.jpeg.1d816df5b279781e62af743d8c3f390f.jpeg
sorry for the poor drawing
I'm thinking put the pull line on the upper trunk? Would that not work?

22 hours ago, Witterings said:

The more I go through the answers I'm actually quite amazed I got it down safely although I think extreme caution and not rushing when I realised it may be a problem may have been why ... especially as I don't have any pulleys or other equipment like it to help.

Behind the intended direction of fall is the fence about 4' away and the neighbours house is just behind that so definitely would have been an issue if it went that way ... although he's always complaining about leaves from the trees fillng his gutters I don't get on with him that well so wouldn't have worried me that much 🤣

To fall away from me would have gone into the trunk of the much bigger Ash and taken out a tree house on it's way that's knackered but has sentimental value to the kids and would have left it hung again in the Ash.

The last alternative apart from the one direction I wanted it to go was my only escape route, I must admit I'm genuinely surprised there's no recognised way of dealing with a situation like this and I'm sure others may have come across this from time to time with the best intention of avoiding it whenever possible. 

There is semi recognised ways of dealing with it, it's just every situation can be so different from the last, so many varibles.

Is there not a dangerous or emergency tree ticket now since they revamped everything

Why is tree hung up n 1st place, rotten, wind damage/busted crown/top, root plate moved and that will lead to other potential complications.

Any damage to other trees, esp widow makers

And realistically most will involve a winch of some description.

Or climbing neighbouring trees and swinging in or mweps

Really I think I would of felled it towards the biggest stem/tree that will also not be damaged too much by the crown sliding down it.

A to secure/hold the crown while u winch the butt

and B it gives u ur danger areas but also known safe areas.

Really a job for experienced boys with there head screwed on and on a swivel.

Can get hurt very easy

I almost had my head taken off today cutting bloody windblow, a right ugly mix off long dead stuff and fresh monster Norway's.

Done all the really dodgy 1s and harvester pulled them away nae bother, done wot I thought was a smaller easy 1 it went with a bang sat right back up showering me with debris. Must off been a good 4m+ from root plate and it still sprung up at speed on me. 

10 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:
23 hours ago, Will C said:
A step cut marked in yellow (with or with out the red gobs) will snap as there is no holding wood when pulled (as the fibres are cut twice with overlapping cuts so each end or trunk and stump are not connected) with the green rope at which point the tree is not attached to the stump and is now free range and trying to kill you and you have to guess where it will or won’t fall and which way to escape
AA0619B5-D0E2-47FC-BE3D-AB83A34B66A9.thumb.jpeg.1d816df5b279781e62af743d8c3f390f.jpeg

Read more  

Is will's line not on the upper part that I'll come away and leave root.

Just got to think which way u put the step in too.

If u mean a rope well up the tree, like ud do for an assisted fell, it's not going to do much unless u can pull it through the canopy it's hung up on.

Otherwise it better leaving it hung up supported in canopy, sever stem from root and pull the butt with a winch so tree slides down slowy.

And ur well out the way as could be debris widow makers coming down all over the place

22 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:
23 hours ago, Will C said:

rope above the top cut would work better(it was late) the point still stands, your potentially in a mucking fuddle very quickly if you nor carful!
I was more trying to put across the risk side of it, not a move for the inexperienced or faint hearted on a big tree!

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Ah but there is a way, just spike up and dismantle it. Cutting so you have a vertical hung up tree with no control is a bad strategy in the first place, at least get some lines in before it's cut so you can control the situation from a distance.

You're dead right this is actually the answer .... the more I learn about felling the more you realise how litte you actually know and in reality this is probably the only really safe way it should be done and not by a home owner like myself but a pro instead.

Think I got lucky on it although I do think caution helped that and it wasn't a big tree or I never would have tried it.

20 hours ago, Witterings said:

You're dead right this is actually the answer .... the more I learn about felling the more you realise how litte you actually know and in reality this is probably the only really safe way it should be done and not by a home owner like myself but a pro instead.

Think I got lucky on it although I do think caution helped that and it wasn't a big tree or I never would have tried it.

No offence but if ur truly talking about a hung up tree ( and not a standing tree with no room to fell) id say spiking up it could be a very brave move to make and potentially very dangerous.

Like I said every situation will be different, possibly u could climb nearby trees to put a line in and swing in, but even being on a compromised stem could be very dodgy, every cut u make makes it more unsteady and unsafe.

They used to cover takedown of hung up trees on even the basic felling tickets

id say theres nothing wrong with taking the time to chip away slowly and carefully at it.

but how big are we talking? my favoured plan would be a top rope over a good fork in the ash and tip tie the pine. base cut the pine and keep it upright just knocking a bit off the bottom then lower it down and knock off another lump.

but then that hinges on having a good rope and friction device, and getting a top rope in.

No offence but if ur truly talking about a hung up tree ( and not a standing tree with no room to fell) id say spiking up it could be a very brave move to make and potentially very dangerous.

Like I said every situation will be different, possibly u could climb nearby trees to put a line in and swing in, but even being on a compromised stem could be very dodgy, every cut u make makes it more unsteady and unsafe.

They used to cover takedown of hung up trees on even the basic felling tickets
Ah he started talking about a tree that needed felling but no clear path so it would inevitably get hung up. The answer to this is not to fell it but spike up and dismantle, no point creating a tricky situation.

Agreed you wouldn't want to be spiking anything hung up.

As chance would have it I've got a small dead elm which has fallen into a HC next week, current plan pulley in the HC and tip tie the elm then sections off the base.

3 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Apologies my bad  ... I wasn't very clear with that response ... the answer would have been to spike up it before the 1st cut and take the top down to a level where it was below the branch of the other tree that was going to cause it to get hung  ...  if that'd been done it would have been a really simple fell.

Nae bother I bought it was a mis communication.

To me a vertically hung up tree is a tree somehow compromised and is leaning hung up on another tree. While potentially a few ways to deal with it any courses I've done would winch the butt.

In the past with smaller trees ,(esp 1st thinnings,) ud try and get shoulder under it lift it and run with it