Felling Vertically Hung Tree?

Witterings

7 hours ago, Witterings said:

I wonder if it was something like the attached pic .... the face cuts are more than 50% depth, the rope pulls out the middle section (or whack it the other side with the rear of an axe), the 2 angled faces slide on each other pushing the trunk out to the right and as the tree drops below the holding branch it falls to the left.

Tree.jpg

Be carful with this, it can turn into a step cut and just winch the centre bit out with a pop! I’ve used it successfully and unsuccessfully which can result in a few seconds doing the tree god dance trying to decide which way to run.

A step cut marked in yellow (with or with out the red gobs) will snap as there is no holding wood when pulled (as the fibres are cut twice with overlapping cuts so each end or trunk and stump are not connected) with the green rope at which point the tree is not attached to the stump and is now free range and trying to kill you and you have to guess where it will or won’t fall and which way to escape

AA0619B5-D0E2-47FC-BE3D-AB83A34B66A9.jpeg
sorry for the poor drawing

Edited by Will C

29 minutes ago, Will C said:

A step cut marked in yellow (with or with out the red gobs) will snap as there is no holding wood when pulled (as the fibres are cut twice with overlapping cuts so each end or trunk and stump are not connected) with the green rope at which point the tree is not attached to the stump and is now free range and trying to kill you and you have to guess where it will or won’t fall and which way to escape

sorry for the poor drawing

I meant the tree god dance, but thanks anyway.

• Haha 1

The more I go through the answers I'm actually quite amazed I got it down safely although I think extreme caution and not rushing when I realised it may be a problem may have been why ... especially as I don't have any pulleys or other equipment like it to help.

Behind the intended direction of fall is the fence about 4' away and the neighbours house is just behind that so definitely would have been an issue if it went that way ... although he's always complaining about leaves from the trees fillng his gutters I don't get on with him that well so wouldn't have worried me that much 🤣

To fall away from me would have gone into the trunk of the much bigger Ash and taken out a tree house on it's way that's knackered but has sentimental value to the kids and would have left it hung again in the Ash.

The last alternative apart from the one direction I wanted it to go was my only escape route, I must admit I'm genuinely surprised there's no recognised way of dealing with a situation like this and I'm sure others may have come across this from time to time with the best intention of avoiding it whenever possible. 

• Like 1

The more I go through the answers I'm actually quite amazed I got it down safely although I think extreme caution and not rushing when I realised it may be a problem may have been why ... especially as I don't have any pulleys or other equipment like it to help.
Behind the intended direction of fall is the fence about 4' away and the neighbours house is just behind that so definitely would have been an issue if it went that way ... although he's always complaining about leaves from the trees fillng his gutters I don't get on with him that well so wouldn't have worried me that much 🤣

To fall away from me would have gone into the trunk of the much bigger Ash and taken out a tree house on it's way that's knackered but has sentimental value to the kids and would have left it hung again in the Ash.

The last alternative apart from the one direction I wanted it to go was my only escape route, I must admit I'm genuinely surprised there's no recognised way of dealing with a situation like this and I'm sure others may have come across this from time to time with the best intention of avoiding it whenever possible. 

Ah but there is a way, just spike up and dismantle it. Cutting so you have a vertical hung up tree with no control is a bad strategy in the first place, at least get some lines in before it's cut so you can control the situation from a distance.