Felling Vertically Hung Tree?

Witterings

I think it 1 of those things u learn with experience as almost every situation will be slightly different.

I imagine the proper would be to fell/gub it into the standing  tree, then letter box he hinge from the back safely then sever both of the tags of hinge on either side coming down at 4t degree angle taking small pieces each time until both severed keeping ur self safe and in a safe area ready to move into ur escape areas quickly any sign of movement

Then get busy with ur tirfor,/hand winch and pull the butt straight back.

Often hard work.

Was don't some dodgy standing windblow this afternoon, felling into other trees, cutting hinge then using a ratchet strap tied to a pole/tree the harvester was pulling them away as I was 30m down a eep banking.

Worked well dodgy bit was very little in way off escape routes as banking do steep and 1 the mud was almost over u boots had to almost peel ur feet out, not good for a kick getaway.

Jut need ur head on a swivel

Been reading the above replies and one thing i will say is that you are very unlikely to be ever in the same situation again, may be simulare but never the same, i have worked in all types of windblown over the years and as Drinksloe says you learn with doing it and thats where the experience comes from, i must admit when i first started dealing with windblown timber about 30 odd years ago i was a bit confused with tension and compression espeicaily when faced with a tangled up mess of 100+ trees and that was a where the F - - K do i start situation back then but now it just comes naturally,  there is no text book that explains how to sort a particular mess out, as again its all very very different, your tree that you have done may of took longer than you though, but no one got hurt or worse, a Tirfor style winch a few slings and a snatch block is a good bit of kit to have and it wont cost you a fortune but it will enable you to do the job with a higher degree of safety, I dont know what it is about windblown trees for me, but i was only having a conversation last wk with a guy and i said if i had to pick trees to cut for the rest of my days it would be windblown by a country mile, you could keep your clear fells and thinnings as well as working in some ones back garden doing conifers, there is just something about sorting windblown that floats my boat and i cant put my finger on what it is but i go like a challenge, just be careful and stay safe,

IMG_0119.JPG

20180305_134948.jpg

20180918_182444.jpg

IMG_0466.JPG

• Like 2

8 tonne forestry winch will stand up and put most trees where you want them ...well if they are not lying on the ground like in the below pics.

Been reading the above replies and one thing i will say is that you are very unlikely to be ever in the same situation again, may be simulare but never the same, i have worked in all types of windblown over the years and as Drinksloe says you learn with doing it and thats where the experience comes from, i must admit when i first started dealing with windblown timber about 30 odd years ago i was a bit confused with tension and compression espeicaily when faced with a tangled up mess of 100+ trees and that was a where the F - - K do i start situation back then but now it just comes naturally,  there is no text book that explains how to sort a particular mess out, as again its all very very different, your tree that you have done may of took longer than you though, but no one got hurt or worse, a Tirfor style winch a few slings and a snatch block is a good bit of kit to have and it wont cost you a fortune but it will enable you to do the job with a higher degree of safety, I dont know what it is about windblown trees for me, but i was only having a conversation last wk with a guy and i said if i had to pick trees to cut for the rest of my days it would be windblown by a country mile, you could keep your clear fells and thinnings as well as working in some ones back garden doing conifers, there is just something about sorting windblown that floats my boat and i cant put my finger on what it is but i go like a challenge, just be careful and stay safe,
IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.1628de8330e1018bb53e3d0051ec04ac.JPG
20180305_134948.thumb.jpg.0508ed486e8dc68a8061ccfc9da95887.jpg
20180918_182444.thumb.jpg.18145f70b2488d5d3b4ed32f8e5c6679.jpg
IMG_0466.thumb.JPG.53ef5484d57511b11312b4213ae543d8.JPG

What about wind blow on a muddy slope?? [emoji38].. one job a few years back it was like that war film hamburger hill..never again!
  • Haha 1

Yes we been there as well and that is no fun at all, a few years ago we where sorting some infected larch and there was a section of windblown in it and the lad working with me severed a root plate and when it fell back down it just set off down the hill and took 3 trees out on its way down fortunatly it got caught up in some windblown, 45 60 degree muddy wet banks covered in moss slimy brash is no fun at all,

• Like 1

On 06/04/2021 at 09:48, peds said:

There was a video on here not long ago of a hung tree being taken down with two complete sets of felling cuts, one about 80cm above the other and facing the opposite direction, with a rope just below the upper cut, tugging in the direction of the lower cut. Give the rope a tug and the two cuts fold, pulling the tree backwards before it completes the forward flop.

Maybe someone can remember what thread it was in and find a link. Looked pretty cool. 

I wonder if it was something like the attached pic .... the face cuts are more than 50% depth, the rope pulls out the middle section (or whack it the other side with the rear of an axe), the 2 angled faces slide on each other pushing the trunk out to the right and as the tree drops below the holding branch it falls to the left.

Tree.jpg

47 minutes ago, peds said:

Yeah, that was the effect, but the middle section was much bigger. I'm out and about right now, but I'll have a look through some old threads later and see if I can find it. 

Must admit after I drew it I thought it was much too close and not a good representation but as it was my 3rd attempt with a completely carp ability to draw thought at least it'd get the idea across 😃

44 minutes ago, Witterings said:

Must admit after I drew it I thought it was much too close and not a good representation but as it was my 3rd attempt with a completely carp ability to draw thought at least it'd get the idea across 😃

Don't start with the fish again FFS ! 😁

• Like 2