business owner productivity and workflow systems

DTaylor

Hi Guys,

So I've been trying recently to minimize admin and keep things organized so im looking for other peoples ideas on how to streamline the admin, management, scheduling and accounting side of things whilst sharing mine.

My current system starts off using google sheets as my initial lead capture process as it loads up quick on both computer and phone, . As I talk to a potential lead on the phone or whilst reading their email I jot in their deets. Thats then organised by colour as the lead goes from quote to job to paid. you can also click on a phone number and u have the option to call and click on an address and have the option to load it up in maps. such a time saver. Its also free.

I use Powered now as a scheduling/quote/invoice app to automatically generate quotes and invoices and also schedule in customers using its diary. its a very easy to use app. customer data is stored in the app and it works seamlessly. It can also generate graphs n what not to track profit, however I dont input all my expenses as that side it slightly cumbersome. Although its still 20 quid a month well spent considering the time it saves me.

This leads me to the final piece of the puzzle that I haven't yet quite nailed down. I've found an app lets you take a pic of receipts that uploads and appropriately organizes them and you can also forward your email invoices to a separate personal email address, given to you when you sign up and it will take all that info and the organise it as well within the app, creating an expense portfolio with minimal input effort. Sounds like a good app at only about 7 a month but still researching other options.

Be good to hear and share others systems. Ive only been doing this a year so still finding my feet. My main goal is to minimize data entry time as it bores the hell out of me!

I like to keep it simple.

As soon as the phone call comes in I enter their address, name and mobile into google calendar with the time slot that I'm visiting them on. Never a delay in loading and it syncs with any member of staff's calendar (if you want) instantly. Quotes, jobs, staff holidays and the colour RED for bring the boards for a roof/skid steer etc all in separate colours.

I then use quickbooks to generate the quote, save the customer details and then invoice if we win the job. Easily exports straight into outlook or you can send through the app. Easy to gain access to when on a job if we need to double check the quote. It is linked to our bank account so money in matches to invoices and money out 'should' match to the receipts that I capture when getting petrol etc. I reconcile the bank every few days which takes minutes. 

The best thing about it is the always knowing what you currently owe or are owed (yeah right) in VAT throughout the active quarter. It can also predict cash flow and regular bills going out. It has also massively made us change our pricing structure once you start putting your monthly expenses into groups and realise you're spending on average £600 a month on repairs, £500 a month on breakfast and £0000's a month on advertising etc 

Doing the accounts each year and VAT return takes very little time.  

6 hours ago, Clutchy said:

I like to keep it simple.

As soon as the phone call comes in I enter their address, name and mobile into google calendar with the time slot that I'm visiting them on. Never a delay in loading and it syncs with any member of staff's calendar (if you want) instantly. Quotes, jobs, staff holidays and the colour RED for bring the boards for a roof/skid steer etc all in separate colours.

I then use quickbooks to generate the quote, save the customer details and then invoice if we win the job. Easily exports straight into outlook or you can send through the app. Easy to gain access to when on a job if we need to double check the quote. It is linked to our bank account so money in matches to invoices and money out 'should' match to the receipts that I capture when getting petrol etc. I reconcile the bank every few days which takes minutes. 

The best thing about it is the always knowing what you currently owe or are owed (yeah right) in VAT throughout the active quarter. It can also predict cash flow and regular bills going out. It has also massively made us change our pricing structure once you start putting your monthly expenses into groups and realise you're spending on average £600 a month on repairs, £500 a month on breakfast and £0000's a month on advertising etc 

Doing the accounts each year and VAT return takes very little time.  

You shouldn’t be claiming any breakfast food...

2 hours ago, doobin said:

You shouldn’t be claiming any breakfast food...

Why not, we are not in a fixed location everyday. 

Its breakfast but would be put through as sustainment (lunch)

I know its a grey area but I'm not particularly concerned 

Ok seems clear that it must be lunch, but lunch CAN be purchased in the morning;

"There are HMRC benchmarks for subsistence, for example, £5 per day for lunch, but you’re supposed to ask HMRC’s permission to use these. In a “one-person” company, I recommend claiming your actual expenditure, because this avoids the problem of HMRC trying to claim you never spent the money"

Another source:

The current HMRC benchmark subsistence rates are: £5 for qualifying travel of 5 hours or more, £10 for qualifying travel of 10 hours or more; and £25 for qualifying travel of 15 hours or more; and, where the travel is ongoing after 8pm. If these rates are exceeded, tax/NIC is due on the excess.

Edited by Clutchy

2 hours ago, doobin said:

Or travel five hours to a job?

It doesn't mean literally travelling for 5-10 hours. 

If we are away from our main office or yard, which obviously we are, the clock starts when you leave until you return. Its not unheard of to leave the yard at 06:30 and return at 16:30 although we like to avoid it 😂

It is unrealistic/unpractical to have facilities to make hot food/drinks in a van and that's the point/spirit of the allowance... 

£500 a month was an example and isn't just my breakfast, all staff/directors get food.