Chainsaw oiling issue, I'm stumped...

Matthew Jones

Hi all,

I'm not sure what else to try to get my chainsaw oiling again. I have a Husqvarna 440E.

I have replaced the oil hose, and the oil pump piston and piston cylinder. I have also replaced the worm gear and made sure that the clutch drum is sitting into the worm gear properly. I have also replaced the oil screen in the oil tank and cleaned out the oil tank.

I am still not getting oil to the bar. Oil does seem to get through the oil hose because I can see it at the hose opening when I have the bar and chain off but it doesn't seem to be really flowing.

There also seems to be oil leaking from the other side of the chainsaw where the actual flywheel is. I have inspected the oil tank itself and I can't see any cracks in it.

I have read something about if the rubber seal has gone in the crankcase that there might be some kind of negative pressure so the oil isn't flowing to the bar properly. Could this be the problem and has anyone any experience with this. When looking at the parts diagrams there isn't any seals shown on there but I guess I would need to buy a whole new crankcase. I'm reluctant to do this if it doesn't solve the problem though. Any help will be greatly appreciated so I can get it up and oiling again!

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

9 hours ago, Matthew Jones said:

Hi all,

I'm not sure what else to try to get my chainsaw oiling again. I have a Husqvarna 440E.

I have replaced the oil hose, and the oil pump piston and piston cylinder. I have also replaced the worm gear and made sure that the clutch drum is sitting into the worm gear properly. I have also replaced the oil screen in the oil tank and cleaned out the oil tank.

I am still not getting oil to the bar. Oil does seem to get through the oil hose because I can see it at the hose opening when I have the bar and chain off but it doesn't seem to be really flowing.

There also seems to be oil leaking from the other side of the chainsaw where the actual flywheel is. I have inspected the oil tank itself and I can't see any cracks in it.

I have read something about if the rubber seal has gone in the crankcase that there might be some kind of negative pressure so the oil isn't flowing to the bar properly. Could this be the problem and has anyone any experience with this. When looking at the parts diagrams there isn't any seals shown on there but I guess I would need to buy a whole new crankcase. I'm reluctant to do this if it doesn't solve the problem though. Any help will be greatly appreciated so I can get it up and oiling again!

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

@spudulike

11 hours ago, Matthew Jones said:

I have read something about if the rubber seal has gone in the crankcase that there might be some kind of negative pressure so the oil isn't flowing to the bar properly.

The bar oiling system is pumped not driven by crank case pressure. When you say the oil isn't really flowing how much oil is coming out of the bar feed hole ? It does only creep out of there not come out in a jet. Try some thinner oil.

The 440 has a filter in the base of the oil tank, it is held in with a single screw, you can see it if you look underneath the saw between the fuel tank you will see it, also bear in mind for the oiler to pump it needs a throw on the shaft, on the non adjustable pump this is achieved by an eccentric cut into the the nylon gear, and a small pin pressed into the crankcase, if the pin has fallen out you loose the throw and no pump.