PTO pump group 2 or 3

MattyF

The only way the crane would be more powerful off the PTO pump is if it delivers higher pressure than the tractor - tractors tend to run at 180 Bar, excavators are 200-250 Bar for example. It would be worth finding out the pressure of both when ordering to see if it makes a difference. The pump may provide more oil flow but that just gives you a bit more crane-speed (rarely necessary with a tractor forwarding setup IMO). 

In terms of contamination - a burst hose won’t allow contamination into the system - the only chance of introducing dirt is when changing hoses or when initially plugging the crane into the tractor. 
I’m surprised you’ve ever had to replace the pump tbh - can it get damaged during shunting etc when on full lock? 

• Like 2

The only way the crane would be more powerful off the PTO pump is if it delivers higher pressure than the tractor - tractors tend to run at 180 Bar, excavators are 200-250 Bar for example. It would be worth finding out the pressure of both when ordering to see if it makes a difference. The pump may provide more oil flow but that just gives you a bit more crane-speed (rarely necessary with a tractor forwarding setup IMO). 
In terms of contamination - a burst hose won’t allow contamination into the system - the only chance of introducing dirt is when changing hoses or when initially plugging the crane into the tractor. 
I’m surprised you’ve ever had to replace the pump tbh - can it get damaged during shunting etc when on full lock? 

Aye that is probably how it mostly happens , to be fair I think it’s the original pto gear box and that’s what’s gone this time it’s usually the pumps.
To be fair I was having to up the rpm a little to get a nice flow with the crane controls so maybe a bit more flow and pressure would not be a bad thing.
I know when I asked Wilson’s if I could mount that crane on a roof mount on it they said it would need an auxiliary pump and tank.
It’s on 540 Jonny!!

I run my Palfinger using a pump like the ones on trucks, normally driven by the back of the gearbox. I have an adaptor that connects it to the rear PTO on the mog.

I've had the crane for 13years and only replaced the pump once and that was because the spline wore out, not due to the pump failing.

I'm not sure if that's an option for you, I guess you would need to match the output of the pump to your cranes requirements.

• Like 1

If you do change or try it on your tractor hydraulics, i would think you have hydraulic oil in the trailer system ? and there will be UTTO oil in the back end of the tractor, dont try it as you will be diluting the oil in the tractor you will need to flush it through to a seperate container first, if not done correct this can cause some expensive damage to the gearbox as thinning the oil down and hydraulic oil has very little lubricating bodies in it,

• Like 2

If you do change or try it on your tractor hydraulics, i would think you have hydraulic oil in the trailer system ? and there will be UTTO oil in the back end of the tractor, dont try it as you will be diluting the oil in the tractor you will need to flush it through to a seperate container first, if not done correct this can cause some expensive damage to the gearbox as thinning the oil down and hydraulic oil has very little lubricating bodies in it,

That’s what I meant by contaminating the tractor oil, genuine valtra hydraulic oil is completely different to what I run in the crane tank.. with the hassle of draining the crane I’d rather just carry on using the system it’s got.. would be nice to get rid of the tank for a better view of the bottom of the trailer bunks though.
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, MattyF said:

That’s what I meant by contaminating the tractor oil, genuine valtra hydraulic oil is completely different to what I run in the crane tank.. with the hassle of draining the crane I’d rather just carry on using the system it’s got.. would be nice to get rid of the tank for a better view of the bottom of the trailer bunks though.

A decade or so ago i  built a trailer with crane on it to run behind a quad and to be run of a power pack strapped to the front rack on the quad, all worked well and then when the job was done i modified the trailer to use behind the Kubota i have, now i allways think you cant beat forward thinking and when crane was running off power pack some tit being me put hydraulic oil in it, then when i came to use it on the tractor i had to flush it through and get as much hydraulic oil out as possible, so 20 gallon later i said that would do, and then dropped oil out of tractor about a month later and all been fine since, but ended up with 6 drums of mixed oil to use up one way or another,

• Like 1