Joining ripping chains

ucoulddoit

I was gonna reply to this topic of making 1 out of 2 chains..

some people are still in the throw it away or sell it on sort of mind where you just end up losing money, to the people in between (eBay & PayPal) Yes you can earn more money. , but I used to do the a Simular thing ( drink to much beer and not go to work the next day). 

one of the first few things I brought was an NG7  second hand off eBay. It’s defo saved me money on fixing loops. 

but everyone has a different view. And I respect this 👍

16 hours ago, Rob D said:

I would not get too hung up on the Granberg chains - go for the Oregon or Stihl option as they are easy enough to source, are cheaper and easier to sharpen.

The only point that I would question in your post is 'Both had only moderate use and were professionally reground after the last batch of milling'.

You need to put yourself in a position to do this sharpening - otherwise you are reliant on other people and it will always cost more. Or use other people but you're going to have to pay more to do so [hence trying to salvage one chain out of 2 is contradicting yourself in my opinion - if you want to save money you need to sharpen professionally and break and mend chains yourself].

Breaking and mending info and kit here - and it has the info to do it yourself.

24548B/24549B Oregon Breaker and Mender Package Deal. Break, mend and repair your own chains using this kit.

Thanks for your advice Rob and link to your website. The two short chains are Oregon ripping chains and so is the one for the 25 inch bar. So I’ll probably go that route in future if I need any new chains as my mills are quite small.

With hindsight, I should probably have asked my original question differently, as I mill stuff for my own use and should have realised the professional millers on here would view it from a business perspective. Time and cost isn’t really that big an issue for me, within reason. Something more along the lines of ‘are there technical and/or safety reasons against lengthening a ripping chain’. After posting the question, I fairly quickly found a discussion on another forum along these lines, and a comment that a chain shouldn’t have more than one join, i.e. fine to join chain off a reel to make up loops, shorten a stretched chain, or repair a chain. But that was dismissed by others, so I’ve concluded that lengthening a chain is a viable way forwards.

Should have bought a grinder years ago! But my hand filing has worked fine with an occasional re-grind for just a few pounds. They are small mills and only ever had very light use. Haven’t milled any logs for a few years but the mills have continued to have occasional use for re-sawing large dry timbers so they will fit onto my bandsaw and planer. That was the original reason to buy the small log mill, so I’ve pretty much gone full circle, but am keen to have them in good working order in case something like a ‘highly valuable walnut’ is being given away…..!

Andrew