Ex MOD Leyland DAF thinking of buying,,

spuddog0507

8 hours ago, dumper said:

Remember there will be no red diesel in 18 months if it won’t stack up running white and o licence it’s probably not going to work. you can’t carry a load if it’s reg as a tractor.

Well they have said this a few times now and its never happened ? fuel wont be a problem at all, and the registeration classes there are several that come with in the agri/forestry group its all about selecting the right one, i have done a bit of home work on this and from what is stated in black n white by the government is there for all to see its just bloody finding it thats problem as time you have gone from one link to another and then again and again, and as for not being able to carry a load if reg as a tractor may be but there is ways round that one,

10 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Well they have said this a few times now and its never happened ? fuel wont be a problem at all, and the registeration classes there are several that come with in the agri/forestry group its all about selecting the right one, i have done a bit of home work on this and from what is stated in black n white by the government is there for all to see its just bloody finding it thats problem as time you have gone from one link to another and then again and again, and as for not being able to carry a load if reg as a tractor may be but there is ways round that one,

There are always ways around the problem, however it’s up to you to prove you are right and there are whole government departments trying to prove you wrong, red diesel finishes in April next yr it’s a whole can of worms as to what will be allowed to run on red, haulage is a very grey area 

Edited by dumper
  • Like 1

I think the relevant government departments like DVSA etc. should be duty bound to HELP you in these situations and talk you through the process.

Instead they seem more intent on telling you you are doing it wrong but aren’t exactly sure why.

The grey areas exist because their regs are so convoluted.

It’s a bloody disgrace, really.

We are paying their wages.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dumper said:

There are always ways around the problem, however it’s up to you to prove you are right and there are whole government departments trying to prove you wrong, red diesel finishes in April next yr it’s a whole can of worms as to what will be allowed to run on red, haulage is a very grey area 

There is more grey areas on this subject than the book has, 50 Shades of grey, Forestry will be ok when it comes to the crunch tho, 

3 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I think the relevant government departments like DVSA etc. should be duty bound to HELP you in these situations and talk you through the process.

Instead they seem more intent on telling you you are doing it wrong but aren’t exactly sure why.

The grey areas exist because their regs are so convoluted.

It’s a bloody disgrace, really.

We are paying their wages.

As i said above if the likes of DVLA VOSA custom & excise cant print the same information on there seperate sites and agree on given subjects,not much hope of us getting it right is there, but to be honest i dont think any one i have spoke to inside DVLA know what they are doing, as i was told no on one subject, but it dont say that on your ,GOV website, oh i will have to check, then they ask me what page is that on as i cant find it ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2021 at 11:58, gobbypunk said:

Hi Spuddog ,Santapod aint been there in yrs and yrs used to love the run what you brung weekends some real interesting contraptions used to turn up ,sorry for the derail.

We used to go in the 80/90s a fair bit, been to some good events there and i think it was about the last event we went to was a world international open event and i have a feeling it was the August bank holiday wk end as it was a 3 dayer, there was a lot of Yanks there with some pretty fast bits of kit, if i remember right fastest car was about 304mph and fastest bike was about 275mph, came home and had ringing in my ears for days afterwards but when your young and daft that dont matter, 

You need to talk to someone how runs a large mog with trailer and  see how they stay with in the law. 

Generally they don’t ..... they like to give you loads of variations on how they conform but in most cases it’s just their way in which they like to interpret the rules to suit them. I’d say a very high percentage of mogs in arb work don’t conform.
  • Like 2

On 04/04/2021 at 14:45, spuddog0507 said:

Hi all been pondering on buying a bigger truck than a Cabstar for a while now, Been thinking of a Ex MOD Leyland DAF for a while now, i have done a bit of home work and things dont look to bad for me to purchase one with working in forestry, I went to look at the one below yesterday and OK its not new or looking pretty but its solid, its very very basic with no creature comforts and it wont break any land speed records, Ok it wants work on it and a tidy up but if i get stuck in it wont take long, it has a Boughton 5.5 tonne hydraulic winch fitted with 70 mtr cable all working, truck has done 38k, its gross weight is 11600kg and tare is around 6 tonne but that can be lowered as there can be some items removed from it, thinking of fitting a crane and grab on the on the arse end, and then probably a trailer behind it at some point,

So can anyone shed any light on a few issues ! and all comments will be welcome,

Registeration class

Taxation class

insurance

MOT

running costs

Vosa checks 

opporater liecence

and what ever anyone can think of !! 

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

Nice truck.

As long as its use is Agricultural, horticultural and forestry there are no grey areas. Fill in a v112g (exemption 12) and send off the application with the V5c along with photos of the truck. The uses outside of the true forestry/ag use are the problem, start using it for log deliveries and hauling plant things could go wrong. Typically an ag vehicle (not tractor) has a max speed of 40mph and wont be allowed on motorways etc.

Bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lux said:

Generally they don’t ..... they like to give you loads of variations on how they conform but in most cases it’s just their way in which they like to interpret the rules to suit them. I’d say a very high percentage of mogs in arb work don’t conform.

Your right there wont be many mogs that comply with the laws/regulations, and the same with tractors that haul a lowloader about with a digger on it, a timber trailer loaded with timber out of some ones front garden, a tipping trailer loaded with chip its all wrong as from what i have been reading, if a tractor is used for any thing outside agriculture/forestry/horticulture it by rights should be registered and taxed as general haulage and run on white diesel, but if it was used for clearing roadside trees (under highway maintanence) it is then classed as agriculture, its all there to be read but there is some very grey areas to consider, and to be honest my head has been up my arse reading from DVLA, VOSA, and customs & excise and as i said above it the governing bodies cant all agree on a subject what chance have we got ?, Tractors are  a very cheap form of transport to use running on red, free tax and cheap as chips insurance, but how many groundworks/arb teams/companies are on white diesel and taxed and registered as general haulage ? some people will disagree with what i have said but when you go in to the fine detail it is clearly stated on the .GOV websites it just takes some understanding, one thing i found is that one site states on red diesel i can only travel 80 kilometer,s 54 mile from base but then another site states 100 kilometer,s so which is right ???