Awful Stink!

The smell could be dust (it has a chemical kind of smell when burning off).

I have the problem with one of my burners. I get the smell from the first burn of the season (as expected) and once it’s being used everyday, there’s no smell.

But if it’s not been lit for 3 or 4 days, it gives off a chemical smell until the dust has burned off and then it’s fine again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Emmsy said:

Yes sir, sorry sir. 

I honestly don't know. I'd say it looks painted. 

Thanks for the 'scabby' comment 😂

20210404_151338.jpg

I may be completely wrong but isn’t that flue joint upside down. Shouldn’t the lower pipe be going up into the upper one. If the joint expands and leaks the fumes will come  out rather than carrying on up the flue.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pancakedan said:

The smell could be dust (it has a chemical kind of smell when burning off).

I have the problem with one of my burners. I get the smell from the first burn of the season (as expected) and once it’s being used everyday, there’s no smell.

But if it’s not been lit for 3 or 4 days, it gives off a chemical smell until the dust has burned off and then it’s fine again.

Thanks. I keep coming back to it being dust as it's the only thing that makes sense. But we lit it yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks. The smell was truly horrendous - all doors and windows open. Smells almost toxic. Can this really just be dust?! 

Thanks. I keep coming back to it being dust as it's the only thing that makes sense. But we lit it yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks. The smell was truly horrendous - all doors and windows open. Smells almost toxic. Can this really just be dust?! 

The dust will burn off really quickly but the smell can linger for a lot longer. I’ve had a few times that I’ve had to open a window because it smells like burning plastic but normally I can put up with the smell until it goes.

If you’re not getting the smell when burning every night, then it’s a good chance that it is dust.
  • Like 2

I may be completely wrong but isn’t that flue joint upside down. Shouldn’t the lower pipe be going up into the upper one. If the joint expands and leaks the fumes will come  out rather than carrying on up the flue.

I kinda thought that, but then it is the first section joint away from top of the stove, so how would that end fit the top of the stove if spun round? I do suspect a leaking joint though looking at the movement marks, prob be best to reassemble with high temp liquid/silicone type sealer.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pancakedan said:

The dust will burn off really quickly but the smell can linger for a lot longer. I’ve had a few times that I’ve had to open a window because it smells like burning plastic but normally I can put up with the smell until it goes.

If you’re not getting the smell when burning every night, then it’s a good chance that it is dust.

You can't get a more dusty place than ours at times ( the stove ash makes dust anyway ) and I have never smelt what you describe . If you power up a Vox AC30 after being stood for some time I can smell the dust burning off the hot valves but it is not toxic  .  Got to be something else .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xiucutil said:

I know it looks counter intuitive but that's the right way, I have a telescopic joint at roughly the same place on my flue due to living in a wood cabin that moves seasonally.

If the pipe was joined the other way creosote and or moisture would run out of it.

Also the sliding joint in my flue is a fairly slack fit in order that it can move without becoming coked up and jammed... nothing ever comes out of it due to the draw when lit.

Assuming that your flue is attached at roof level then there will always be a point where movement will take place due to the expansion and contraction change in flue length when going from cold to full tilt. 

I can see the full inside length of my flue from stove to roof, about 8 feet, and over that small distance there's about 3/16" movement of the flue so if yours is longer that'll explain the marking on the stovepipe joint.

No idea about the smell... something nasty behind the throat plate ?    Cheers.

• Like 2

You can't get a more dusty place than ours at times ( the stove ash makes dust anyway ) and I have never smelt what you describe . If you power up a Vox AC30 after being stood for some time I can smell the dust burning off the hot valves but it is not toxic  .  Got to be something else .

I’ve got three stoves and only one (steel stove) of them produces a dust smell if it’s not been used in while. I spent a lot of time researching the issue and through a process of elimination, I know this is the cause. Not saying that this is the OP’s issue but it could be.

People can be more sensitive to smells like burning dust than others. At the end of the day, it’s a lump of metal with a fire inside, can’t be too many things causing the smell. The stove should be inspected by a qualified person to eliminate everything else.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pancakedan said:

I’ve got three stoves and only one (steel stove) of them produces a dust smell if it’s not been used in while. I spent a lot of time researching the issue and through a process of elimination, I know this is the cause. Not saying that this is the OP’s issue but it could be.

People can be more sensitive to smells like burning dust than others. At the end of the day, it’s a lump of metal with a fire inside, can’t be too many things causing the smell. The stove should be inspected by a qualified person to eliminate everything else.

M y stove is steel ( Burley ) but I don't get that . 

• Like 1