Awful Stink!

Yes sir, sorry sir. 

I honestly don't know. I'd say it looks painted. 

Thanks for the 'scabby' comment [emoji23]
20210404_151338.thumb.jpg.a239efc430edffb39db0e43b04aef4bc.jpg

Thats a movement mark, the flue has come upwards, you could be leaking on that joint too.

1 hour ago, Emmsy said:

Yes sir, sorry sir. 

I honestly don't know. I'd say it looks painted. 

Thanks for the 'scabby' comment 😂

20210404_151338.jpg

Looks like standard shop bought hi temp pipe to me? No sign of blistering or anything that would otherwise indicate the wrong paint? Maybe try sniffing it before you expect the smell to appear? 

I made the awful mistake one time of picking up the gun with Black Hight temp  RTV Silicon instead of Fire Cement. Was amazed at how smooth it went on too. :D Til I lit the Stove. :/ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so my thoughts for what they are worth...

If you recently moved in my first thought would be the paint, old owner paints it up, it looks nice, you fall in love buy the house. They don't care about the paint type so long as it is black... however since October I would expect a stove paint to have cured and stop smelling and a not-stove paint to have burnt off and also to stop smelling, I'd be tempted to consider something else. Noting that when my stove was curing you could see smoke coming off the top of it.

Likewise your fuels should be OK, if you use them regularly you'd expect the smell regularly

Lets assume that a stove installed 2 years ago also has a carbon monoxide monitor fitted as the rules say it should (and if note, you should consider fitting one, CO the silent killer)... again might rule that comment out then.

The flue and the movement, that looks like quite a bit of movement. might be worth considering that for a moment. Has the scraped paint always been there? Did it happen once and there is was or has it appeared over time. If it has always been there it's possible when it was installed stove pipe was pushed too far in then taken out a touch scraping the paint. A one off occurrence while you had the house and something might have disturbed it, moved it maybe if you were in the loft or something, and if it happened over time, then it regularly moves. Second 2 things are worth checking out that it is all connected together properly. If it moves regularly then might be an issue with the install and to get it checked.

Now onto the smell..... there was a post a while ago somewhere made me think of this... is the smell from the stove itself, from near the stove or from the chimney? can you work that out? The chimney heats up quickly, might be something too close to that somewhere? Just have a check along it and see that there is nothing in the loft too close perhaps. 

The only thing I can think of that might be happening is that a cold stove and the metal work shrinks opening a gap in a joint (stove to chimney perhaps?) - different metal types, different expansions. If you use it for a few days, it all warms up enough for the metals to expand and seal the joints, could try come high temperature silicone to seal around the joints? Try to work out what causes the chimney movement first though else any seal will come undone.

Wonder if your local friendly sweep can take a look for you also? They might be able to rule out leaking joints, and thatt he chimney is installed correctly

Note.. I am not an expert at these things, just my thoughts on what you say

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Will C said:

My guess would be the burner hasn’t got hot enough to burn all the newness off. 
Im only going on the fact the wall paper next to it is still intact, our burner would of set light to it long ago 🤔

I'm not sure if it would meet regs with the side clearance . Looks a bit tight ?  Maybe its the side walls of the aperture that are smelling ?

Thanks everyone - really appreciate your input. 

I do have a CO alarm, and it is positioned correctly and works. 

I have tried to sniff around the stove, and for the life of me can't work out where it's coming from. The chimney sweep checked it all out in October and said it was fine. There is no smell in the loft. 

It was installed by a professional company, so I can only assume building regs all been met. Previous owners did it. However, it smells quite quickly on lighting - the walls don't feel particularly hot when it starts to smell. 

I have burned it really hot (I think - I'll borrow an IR thermometer from work) many times. 

Edited by Emmsy

18 minutes ago, woodland dweller said:

The smell you are getting, is it a Tary / Creasote type smell that stinks the room out so you have to open a window ?

I know all about those !

Not sure I'd say tary but it's certainly a chemically smell. Really strong, all windows open. Unbearable!