Awful Stink!

After advice please. 

Moved in to our new home which has a log burner. It's about a year or 2 old, but I have a feeling it's a reconditioned one. 

First time we lit it, it stank. Oh the smell! Awful chemically, waxy smell - had to open all the windows it's so bad! 

However, if it is lit every day the smell goes away. Over winter it was generally alright. Providing it's used every day. 

Don't light it for a couple of days the smell returns. Not quite as bad, but it's there. 

Don't light it for a couple of weeks and it is back to reeking again. Quite unbearable. 

Had it fully cleaned it October, all was good, but didn't help with the smell. 

Contacted the people who installed it, they just said they had no idea what it was. Wouldn't even visit. 

We burn really high quality compressed fuel. 

I'm at a loss. Do we need a new burner?? 

• Sad 1

First of all ensure you have a working CO monitor.

Try plain logs.

Do you know where the smell is coming from, the back wall next to my burner can smell a bit if the fire's not been lit for ages.

By the sounds of it you suspect the paint of the fire is giving off the smell. Sounds like you need to get a good stove person in to see what they say. Perhaps someone has used an unsuitable paint? If the paint is ok I thought they needed to get suitable hot to cure but your stove person should be able to advise.

Thanks all. 

We have tried many different fuels. Seasoned logs, different woods, and all manner of fuel from the WoodFuel Coop. Not cheap, nasty B&M crap.

Nothing makes a difference. 

The smell is quite quick to appear on lighting. Not sure the back wall gets hot enough in this time. Plus wouldn't it smell all at the time, not just after it's not been lit for a few weeks?!

I am not sure where the smell is coming from - the furnace itself at a guess. 

It's driving me mad. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emmsy said:

The smell is quite quick to appear on lighting.

What are you using to light the fire? 

If the flue liner is stone cold the air will be dense and heavy and not want to rise. One trick to try is fire-up a blow torch and heat the liner somewhat before lighting the stove. See if that makes a difference.