The 500i is a nice saw and does the job but try a 400.  Ok, different class of saw and a replacement 362.  But that saw punches well above its weight.  Well balanced and is great to use up a tree.  

I would rate it as having a higher wow factor than the 500i.  

... and yes, I have used both extensively.

• Like 2

The 500i is a nice saw and does the job but try a 400.  Ok, different class of saw and a replacement 362.  But that saw punches well above its weight.  Well balanced and is great to use up a tree.  

Was going to say the same rich but I’d rather keep it to myself... so we don’t get a shortage of 400’s as well as 500i’s or another stupid thread about them spontaneously combusting with there mag pistons....
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 22/05/2021 at 05:55, Rich Rule said:

Agreed.. the 500i is a decent, but overpriced saw for it capabilities. For less money one can purchase a 395XP, which even in stock form simply destroys the 500i. 

The 400 on the other hand is a fantastic, featherweight, in tree 60-70cc saw. 

• Like 3

To be honest I think a 500i is an overhyped saw with average capacity. 

We have gone so far from high reving torqey saws that most have forgotten what they feel like to use.

A modded 046 would piss all over a 500i.Propper modded,not tweaked a little bit by some bloke in his garden shed.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Erik said:

Agreed.. the 500i is a decent, but overpriced saw for it capabilities. For less money one can purchase a 395XP, which even in stock form simply destroys the 500i. 

The 400 on the other hand is a fantastic, featherweight, in tree 60-70cc saw. 

@Erik can you still get the 395 new for a sensible price?

4 hours ago, Lowestoft Firewood said:

@Erik can you still get the 395 new for a sensible price?

Here in the states Husky's tend to be more sensibly priced compared to Stihl's, but like most saws they are kinda hard to find these days. I did see 2 395's at my local saw shop the other day, but they were both already spoken for.  I myself run 2 Madsen modded 395's with 42" bars on them.  Simply put, the best 90cc saw I have ever run. I love my 5 series Husky's (550, 562, 572), but it will be a sad day when the larger 3 series saws are no longer available... Looking forward to their upcoming 5 series 90-120cc saws. They have some very big shoes to fill...  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Erik said:

13 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

To be honest I think a 500i is an overhyped saw with average capacity. 

Blimey, you two will be on a hit list saying things like that. The hardcore 500i lovers will go ballistic. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1