Sachs Dolmar 153 advise

damski007

Echo on what was previously written, take care of condition of saw, parts are getting thin on the ground, most NLA, cylinders and pistons rare to say the least. If you're only milling with it, remove the chainbrake ( if it has one!) Use fully synthetic top quality 2 stroke oil, at least 40:1 ( maybe 32:1)  others will have an opinion on that and premium or ethanol free fuel.  Treat it like the geriatric it is, don't push it and enjoy!   

Thanks for the advice, the guy I bought if from used a mixture at 25 to 1 but he only used it once to fell a large ash tree. I’m happy to run it richer I take it no harm can be done doing this?.

Originally these saws and ones of similar age were recommended to run on 25:1, but that was old mineral 2 stroke oil, today modern fully synthetic oils are much better at lubricating and a cleaner burn, so less smoke and carbon build up. Check compression and when plug is out have a look inside, if run on 25:1 it could be carboned up. If it is a very low use mint saw it is a collectors item and is worth good money, maybe sell it and buy a later suitable for milling saw, milling is very hard on saws! Post some photos up of it!

• Like 1

Originally these saws and ones of similar age were recommended to run on 25:1, but that was old mineral 2 stroke oil, today modern fully synthetic oils are much better at lubricating and a cleaner burn, so less smoke and carbon build up. Check compression and when plug is out have a look inside, if run on 25:1 it could be carboned up. If it is a very low use mint saw it is a collectors item and is worth good money, maybe sell it and buy a later suitable for milling saw, milling is very hard on saws! Post some photos up of it!

7956ec2fb3073985b2caff91df8b4fbd.jpg
7cc510cc48d26857c6054a75e0e4f1c7.jpg
  • Like 2

Shavey on here is the man on these, he's in your area as well, AJS axes and saws, he will give all the info that you need, he know's much more than me on Dolmars and is a dealer, if you hunt through old posting you will find him, PM him, he's always busy so sometimes response may be a little slow, great guy!! 

Shavey on here is the man on these, he's in your area as well, AJS axes and saws, he will give all the info that you need, he know's much more than me on Dolmars and is a dealer, if you hunt through old posting you will find him, PM him, he's always busy so sometimes response may be a little slow, great guy!! 

Thanks, I will see if I can find him. I might sell it before I break it.

How much milling do you intend doing with it?

It's an old saw... and not that common. Parts are getting harder to source.

I'd advise against using that saw for milling (but don't sell it on! Keep it and look after it)

Edited by DCS6800i

How much milling do you intend doing with it?

It's an old saw... and not that common. Parts are getting harder to source.

I'd advise against using that saw for milling (but don't sell it on! Keep it and look after it)

Thanks, I have never milled anything before and just wanted to be able to get myself cheaper wood and maybe sell some on. The limits of my wood is usually what trees I find washed up after heavy seas, so would not really have much use for it other than the odd huge log. Would you have any idea what this saw would be worth?.